1. This Is Swiss soccer player Michel Morganella playing against South Korea in the Olympics. Despite selling one of the worst dives in soccer history, the Swiss would end up losing this game 2-1.
2. Following the game, Morganella tweeted the following:
3. Which roughly translates to:
Translation according to 101 Great Goals. According to the AP the tweet was a combination of a French slang called verlan and a text-message style of writing. Other translations have Morganella saying South Koreans “can go burn” and that he actually called them a “bunch of mongoloids.” Regardless, it’s bad.
4. Shortly after sending that tweet, Morganella deleted his Twitter account.
5. Morganella was sent home by Switzerland.
Gilli also added that Morganella was responding to negative tweets his account received from Korean fans, though he did not say that this excused the player’s tweet.
6. Morganella released a statement of apology through the Swiss Olympic Committee.
- The Dakota Access Pipeline will no longer cross under a lake near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, a major victory for protesters.
- The death toll from Oakland's warehouse party fire has risen to 33. "We're expecting the worst and hoping for the best," officials said Sunday.
- An anti-establishment wave has prompted Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi to resign after losing a constitutional referendum.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏