1. Today during Microsoft’s press conference at E3, a man and a woman demonstrated the new fighting game, Killer Instinct.
2. The man, a producer on the game, was winning the match easily. At that point, he started to talk a little trash. Listen at the :27 mark:
3. Regardless of his intention, that is obviously language that is coded in the terms of sexual violence.
4. The woman’s response? “I don’t like it.”
While the producer may have meant this comment innocently, the objectification of women is deeply encoded in gaming culture. That this comment could happen onstage at a major, obsessively coordinated press event, is a testament to this fact.
- The Clinton campaign is trying to stop television stations from running a pro-Trump ad featuring Michelle Obama.
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- An airplane carrying Republican VP candidate Mike Pence skidded off the runway at New York City's LaGuardia airport. No one was injured.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀