16 Reasons You Think You Hate Tequila
Share this with all your friends who insist on downing it all in one shot.
1. Thinking all tequilas are the same.
2. Using a shot glass to drink tequila, regardless of what kind it is.
For more aromatic tequilas you're better off with one of these:
If you prefer to drink tequila with ice, use an Old Fashioned glass.
For extra-aged tequilas or really any special or fancy tequilas, use a snifter.
3. Only drinking tequila with salt and lime.
4. Drinking too fast.
5. Not smelling it before drinking.
6. Buying the wrong one.
7. Choosing your tequila based purely on the bottle or price.
8. Choosing tequila for its color.
White tequila is younger, and it's bottled just after it's distilled.
Reposado tequila has spent at least six months in an oak barrel.
Añejo tequila has spent at least 14 months in an oak barrel.
There are also other modern tequila variations, such as crystalline tequila.
9. Chilling tequila.
If you insist, add an ice cube instead.
10. Never pairing their tequila with food.
Pair white tequilas with fish and seafood.
Reposado tequila goes really well with more robust dishes, such as meats, moles, and sauces.
Añejo tequila goes better with desserts and spicy dishes.
11. Not storing it well.
12. Mixing it irresponsibly.
13. Say no to making your own cocktails.
14. Drinking too much of it.
15. Putting up with tequilas that are rough or cause a hangover.
16. Thinking that there is only one way to drink tequila.
We want to thank Enrique de Colsa, tequila expert from the Don Julio Distillery and Luis Miguel Moreno, its brand ambassador, for their invaluable assistance in the preparation of this post.