Healthy & Hearty Black Bean Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cumin
4 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
Avocado, chopped, to serve
Queso fresco, crumbled, to serve
Cilantro, chopped, to serve
Tortilla chips, crumbled, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock-pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer.
2. Add onions, celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
3. Add garlic, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes until vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.
4. Add cumin, black beans, vegetable stock, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
5. Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until the beans are very tender.
6. Remove the bay leaf. Transfer about 4 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, being careful not to splatter hot soup all over yourself and kitchen.
7. Pour blended soup back into the pot and mix to incorporate.
8. Keep over low heat until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh avocado, queso fresco, chopped cilantro, and tortilla chips.