34 Things To Help You Have More Fun Outside With Your Pet
Ball launchers, splash pads, sunscreen and other things to give your sweet pet the fun and safe outdoor playtime they deserve.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A Chuckit! ball launcher that'll make it easy to entertain your energetic pup without exerting too much effort on your part — especially if you've had a long day and are running on fumes, but still wanna have a good time outside with your fave fur baby.
Promising review: "My dog never understood the concept of Fetch. It didn't matter what I tried. This FINALLY has her fetching and using up all (OK, most) of the energy that a cattle dog has. We can play over and over and over without my measly arm wearing out, and she's able to sprint to her heart's content. I'm already planning to gift one to my brother's dog who also is fetch-dumb." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $7.02+ (available in nine sizes and seven styles).
2. Or a Nerf ball launcher that'll blast tennis balls up to *50 feet* so you can just chill on the porch while your zoomy dog gets to be in fetch heaven.
3. A durable, foldable splash pad for dogs you can simply attach to your garden hose to give your pups a fun day at the water park — in your own backyard!
4. An outdoor playpen so your cat or other small animals can safely join you for an afternoon under the sun.
Promising review: "Our deck is very small, but anytime I’m sitting outside my cat will climb the screen door and meow constantly because he wants to come outside. I’ve thought about a leash but that’d be too much I feel. I ordered this for his first birthday and I am VERY satisfied. The instructions said easy it’s as one, two, three — and it was!! So easy to put up, it literally just pops up. He is so happy out here with me and that makes my heart happy!!" —Jean
Get it from Chewy for $44.95.
5. A bike-mounted leash attachment so your fave companion can join you on long bike rides *and* you can keep both hands firmly on the handlebars at all times.
Promising review: "Before I got this attachment, I broke an arm cycling with my dog. Since I got this, it has been sooooo much more secure and safer than just using a leash. This gives you a lot more control and stability. I have used it in my dog, as well as several other dogs I sit, and they love it! I loved it so much I went ahead and got a second one for my other bike. I leave the attachment piece on when I am not cycling with a dog and just disconnect the stick. It is super quick and easy." —Hannah Legerwood
Get it from Amazon for $76.
6. Or a hands-free leash to make walks, jogs, and errands even more convenient. The strong bungee cord absorbs jerks and lunges, and it even includes a zip-up pouch you can use to store treats, your phone, or other supplies.
Promising review: "Y'all, this is literally the best leash ever! My dog is part husky, so thinks he's in the Iditarod when we run, and I thought no way would this work. It's shorter than most leashes, which is what I prefer for control purposes. After he realized he wasn't bungee jumping from my waist, it was the best he's ever walked, let alone run! The pouch fit my phone, and I can finally run hands-free! I'm 5'4" and he's about 50 pounds for reference, but he usually pulls harder than most labs and Danes I know." —CZ
Get it from Amazon for $17.49+ (available in seven colors).
7. A rubber football you can fill with their favorite treats to raise the stakes on playtime.
Promising review: "Two years later, the Hol-ee Football is still a favorite of my boxer. It has held up under many rousing games of fetch and his moderate chewing proclivities. I agree with other reviews that this toy isn't for heavy chewers, but I don't think that's what this toy was designed for. I'd say that if you are going to get a Hol-ee, opt for the football style, as they last longer (it has a better hole to rubber ratio) and are just as fun!" —Aggie
Get it from Amazon for $6.07+ (available in two sizes).
8. An auto-refill indoor/outdoor drinking fountain you can hook right up to your garden hose to ensure that your pets have their own personal hydration station on hot days.
9. And a leak-proof portable water bottle that makes it easy to keep your pooch hydrated on walks or long drives. The top even seals shut so you can throw it in your bag without worrying about spills.
Promising review: "I love this water bottle! We take our Basset Hound a ton of places and this bottle has kept her cool and hydrated during our hot summer! It comes with a lock feature, so that the water-release button doesn’t accidentally get pressed if you have it in a bag. I also love that the water doesn’t get sucked back in the bottle. I just press the button to release enough water for her to drink and if there is any leftover, you can dump it out, so you will always have fresh water inside the bottle for your dog. She has never hesitated to drink out of it, either. So much better than carrying around a bowl and a bottles of water!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in two sizes and two colors).
10. A comfy, yet escape-proof cat leash and harness designed so you and your feline friend can safely prowl around outside for some fun summer adventures.
Promising review: "Excellent quality! I have tried other types of harnesses for my cat who has too much energy to be contained in a house, and the other styles were too flimsy or uncomfortable for my cat. This harness is ideal. It is sturdy, so I know he cannot slip out of it, yet it is comfortable for him to wear. This harness is very secure without being awkward-fitting on the cat. It goes on and off easily. This has made a very positive difference in the life of my kitty." —MG
Get it from Amazon for $14.98+ (available in sizes XS–S and 10 colors).
11. A veterinarian-recommended odorless Seresto flea and tick collar so you can worry less about bugs during outdoor playtime. It kills fleas and ticks on contact so your sweet doggo won't have to deal with painful bites and other health issues, and you won't have to deal with...an infestation.
12. A frozen treat toy you can fill with your furry friend's favorites like peanut butter, broth, or wet dog food. Just freeze it overnight, you'll have a refreshing, long-lasting snack to help keep your pup cool and happy on a hot day. Maybe then you won't feel so bad about eating your own ice pop in front of them while they eye you with jealousy.
Promising review: "These are like a summer Kong for hot weather. I put some water, peanut butter, coconut milk and MCT oil in the blender and poured it in, popped in the freezer, waited a few hours and voila! My pups loved these. They sit well in the freezer, too. I will be ordering more before it gets too hot. I can't wait to make more flavors for them. The material is very durable and is not overly scented like other rubber toys. A must for the summer!" —Beatriz S.
Get it from Amazon for $4.95+ (available in sizes S & M/L and two sizes).
13. A durable dog/kiddie pool for both your little ones *and* pets who wanna cool off in the yard. It's portable and folds down easily, so you can just store it in the garage when it's not in use. Plus, reviewers say it holds up well to the kind of roughhousing one might expect from excited pups.
Promising review: "I am now the proud owner of THREE of these dog pools. I have an XXL, an XL, and an S pool for our backyard 'frogs' that wouldn't stay out of the big pools! Yes, I bought the frogs their own pool...that's how amazing these pools are! We had the XXL and XL pools out every day last summer (changed the water twice per week), and they were used daily by all three dogs. There have been no punctures of any sort or any issues at all with these pools, and my dogs can play pretty rough at times. The XXL pool was used for both the 2018 and 2019 summers with no issues. These pools are literally my dogs' favorite part of summer...I can't keep them out of them! As soon as we get back from a walk, they jump right in!" —Kate M
Get it from Amazon for $24.64+ (available in five sizes).
14. A Chuckit! floating fetch toy to take your pooch's favorite game to the next level. The bright colors make it easy for dogs to hunt it down in the water, and they'll love diving in after it and splish-splashin' around during playtime.
Promising review: "This is hands-down my dachshund's favorite water toy. Lasted over a year through river trips, dog beach and pool days. Very durable, floats very well. Easy to throw and does not hold water or smell after use at all. We just bought him another after much use." —Amazon Customer
15. An Outward Hound life vest with a rescue handle and foam chin float to help keep your precious pup safely above water if you're spending the day around a pool or lake.
Promising review: "Great lifejacket! I ordered this for my mini long-haired dachshund, who tries hard but is not a strong swimmer. He's able to stay afloat with this vest (we're still working on keeping his head above water, but the neck piece on this vest helps a lot). We ordered a size small. For reference, he is only 9 pounds (which is in range for size XS), but all of his measurements put him in the Small range. I was worried it would be too big, but he fits (almost) perfectly in the small since the straps cinch him in. It's a little big in the back, but he's still young so he's got room to grow." —Kristina Circelli
Get it from Amazon for $15.20+ (available in sizes XS–XL and three colors).
16. A durable all-terrain pet stroller so you can treat your pets like the big fur babies they truly are. The spacious basket is complete with a removable mesh canopy to help keep them cool, *and* a removable, washable poly-fill pad so they'll be extra comfy. It also includes safety tethers, cup holders, and a convenient compartment for any accessories you might wanna bring along.
17. A pet odor eliminating candle that'll fill your home with the scent of lemon, linen, and florals instead of the smell of wet dog after a long day of playing outside.
Pardo Naturals is a Black woman-owned small business based in Georgia that designs products for people with issues related to sensitive skin and allergens.
Get it from Pardo Naturals for $35.
18. A mesh raised dog bed so your pup has a soft, cool place to relax in between intense games of fetch.
19. Some water-resistant, all-season, adjustable-width doggie leggings with waterproof booties that'll keep your pupper's paws nice and clean after playtime outside while protecting them from sharp objects and slipping and sliding around. Plus, they're super comfy for your doggo, easy to take on and off and clean, and they come in a variety of adorable prints to match your furry friend's personal style!
The legs also have an elastic band near the knee that you can adjust for just the right fit.
Walkee Paws, as seen on Shark Tank, is a woman-owned business launched in 2018 by New York City entrepreneur Lisa Baronoff as the first dog leggings retailer.
Promising reviews: "Walkee Paws are perfect for my sheepadoodle! They help keep his paws clean and dry in the snow and rain and he doesn't seem to mind wearing them." —Erin
"I love the Walkee Paws. Unlike the other type of dog boots, these stay on her tiny feet. My little girl never liked walking in the rain or snow. The first time I put them on her inside the house, she was hesitant to walk but with a little coaxing she walked off the rug onto the wooden floor. When she realized that she didn't slip, she started running back and forth in the house. Now she loves walking in the snow and water puddles. Thank you Walkee Paws!" —Cyntia C.
Get it from Walkee Paws for $39.99+ (available in four sizes and five colors).
20. A pack of paw protection cream to act as an invisible, breathable shield against sand, hot pavement, snow, and salt so your dogs can frolic around without you having to worry about their every step. Some reviewers even use it on their own heels as well as on tattoos!
Promising review: "My dog has extremely dry and cracked paws, so rough she gets stuck to the carpet. I've tried just about everything, all failed for various reasons. This product works. I was only able to do one paw the first time, she fought me like a demon. Next time she let me do all four with little fuss, she likes the result. I followed everyone's lead and put it on right before walks. I've noticed that she wants to run and jump more, and genuinely is happy with her feet. One downside is because it softens the pads you have to be careful where they step; she picked up a thorny branch where before the treatment it wouldn't penetrate. Fair trade in my opinion; now we can play and snuggle without her scratching me up. Bottom line: love it, the dog loves it, good value little goes a long ways. —Peggy
Get it from Amazon for $14.99.
21. A spray-on sunscreen equivalent to SPF 30 to help protect your doggo's nose, ears, paws, belly, legs, and other exposed areas from the scorching sunshine on beach or park days.
Promising review: "Love this product. The aerosol canister allows quick application at all angles (i.e. armpits, groin). Aerosol also goes on light and even, quickly drying. Is the largest bottle of sunscreen available so need to order less. Top has locking lid to keep little kids out. When it says 'meets the FDA guidelines,' it means for ingredient stability and safety. Proven to stay good for a year with normal storage. Waterproof and 'lick-safe' once dry—dries almost instantly. It isn't greasy, though you will notice a slight difference in coat texture—kind of feels like a very fine dusting of talc powder—but hands come away clean. Smells nice (vanilla). Blocks both UVA and UVB rays, and contains five different sunscreen ingredients (as found in human sunscreens), in addition to skin conditioners. Rates equivalent to 30-40 SPF (you only get to say 'equivalent' because the SPF scale was developed using human skin). Brand respected and carried by veterinary dermatologists. Introduce the new sound and smell of this product with treats and praise, and your dog will love it as much as mine does!" —1project2many
22. A durable glow-in-the-dark ball that'll extend playtime past sundown if you and your pup are having too much fun to call it quits. It even works with tennis ball launchers if you tend to tucker out before your energetic dog.
Promising review: "My dog loves this ball! I have a 1-year-old Husky who loves to chew on everything. This ball can handle her destructive nature. I work late and by the time I get home, it's dark out but I still want to spend time playing with her and this ball works amazingly. I toss it in front of a light for a few minutes and it's charged and ready to be thrown. She loves the ball so much that when she's done playing fetch, she'll bring it to bed with her. There's a hole in the middle that makes a whistling noise when thrown, which catches her attention. Great ball, glad I bought it." —Quyen
Get it from Amazon for $6.39.
23. And a rechargeable LED dog collar so your dog can wander around your yard after dark without you losing sight of them.
Promising review: "Stealthy Alpaca is...well, stealthy. He's very difficult to locate on my five acres in the dark. He doesn't make any audible noises and unlike the horses, you can't even hear his footsteps. He takes great pleasure in hiding behind bushes and not revealing his location as I walk just 10 feet away calling his name. I'm sick of thinking he's escaped, stolen, or dead. Illumiseen collar solves the problem. Ninja no more, ha!" —Polomare
Get it from Amazon for $17.99 (available in sizes XXS–XL and seven colors).
24. A mesh harness designed so your cat can get in on the outdoor fun! It's super comfy and has three layers of security so even the finest escape artist felines will have trouble wriggling their way out of it.
Promising review: "I got this for a petite cat whose wily ways drove me to try walking her. She LOVES it, but she pulled out of the first two (skimpy) harnesses. This one is better and more secure — especially when you pull the Velcro tight before snapping into place. The two leash hooks make it even more secure. She could probably still wiggle out with serious effort, but it's the best I've tried yet. Plus she looks like a bada$$ mofo, which counters my own crazy-cat-lady-walking-her-cat vibe just enough to be passable." —LBB
Get it from Amazon for $11+ (available in seven sizes and 16 colors).
25. A soccer ball with tabs that make it easier for pups to pull, tug, and toss the ball around with their favorite human. Plus, dogs love chasing it since it floats in water and the tabs make it bounce somewhat erratically — much to their delight.
Promising review: "My Chihuahua/Corgi mix loves this product, he carries it around with him everywhere! I was initially worried the ball would be too big to fit in his mouth, but the tabs on the ball are perfect for him to carry it around everywhere! The overall construction of the ball is also very sturdy, so I predict this ball will last us a LONG TIME!" —Stacy Meuli
Get it from Amazon for $14.95+ (available in two sizes).
26. A tough rubber ball that even the most...rambunctious dogs will have a tough time breaking through.
Promising review: "OMG!! I have to say that these are some of the best balls around! We have a blue nose pit and, as most know, they have some pretty powerful jaws and are chewers. Well these balls have stood up way beyond what we had ever imagined! She can tear through chew toys in a matter of minutes to days and here we are three months later and they are still in perfect shape!!" —Brandy1
Get it from Chewy for $5.95+ (set of two, available in two sizes)
27. A rope toy for when you need a break from your dog's seemingly tireless appetite for tug-of-war. This toy can hang from a tree to keep pups occupied while you relax with a nice cold beverage.
Promising review: "The toy has been up for about two weeks and it seems to be holding up well. My dog is a little lazy and needs the exercise but won't play fetch/return. One run down and she is done, so this toy was an experiment. I am happy to say she loves it. It is the first thing she runs to when she is let out. She will play with it for about 15 minutes before she gets tired. All seems very durable and safe. I would recommend this toy!" —KShoe
Get it from Amazon for $26.99.
28. A cooler vest to help keep your hot dog from overheating when temps are through the roof. All you have to do is soak it in cool water, wring out the excess liquid, and put it on your dog to keep them comfy while the sun beats down.
Promising review: "My Boston Terrier simply cannot take walking in 80-degree-plus heat. With this vest on, she acts as if she's 10 degrees cooler, at least. We are able to walk normally. She still pants and gets hot, but she stays energetic and is able to handle it the temperature much better than without it. When I've taken the vest off, I have noticed that the inside was noticeably cool to the touch. This is a good quality product and has afforded my girl some summertime freedom otherwise lost to the heat." —Raymond
Get it from Amazon for $32.95+ (available in seven sizes and two colors).
29. Or a cooling bandana with Velcro closures for any dogs who aren't the biggest fans of clothes.
Promising review: "This 'ice bandana' is perfect for a hot dog. Our lab suffers in the summer heat, panting heavily. I rotated two of them, but have since purchased two more. She happily wags her tail when she sees me approaching with the cool collar. It works like magic and I highly recommend this product. What’s even better is that the gel is nontoxic. I store the collar in the refrigerator and the temperature is very soothing." —Jeanette T.
Get it from Amazon for $16.99+ (available in sizes S–L).
30. A durable flying squirrel toy that works like a Frisbee and will make your dogs literally jump for joy.
Promising review: "Our 4-year-old German Shepherd will go absolutely BONKERS if she sees this bad boy coming out of the closet. We have to keep it locked away, otherwise she will dig it out of her toy box and smack us with it until we take her out to play with it. It's a fun toy to throw in the park for her to chase, and once you figure out the perfect throwing technique, it'll have 'hang time' in the air to allow for the dog to jump up and snag it before it hits the ground. Great exercise for her that also wears her out and lets us have some peace and quiet. The squirrel is very durable and has withstood our GSD playing tug-of-war with a 6-month-old Labrodoodle with sharp puppy teeth. The undersides of the 'feet' glow in the dark too! So many people have stopped me in the park to ask 'What is that thing??' and I just tell them to look for the Flying Squirrel on Amazon. Just buy the dang squirrel, you won't regret it!!" —Loakes13
Get it from Amazon for $7.01.
31. A dog rain poncho with reflective stripes you might wanna have on hand just in case some unexpected rain spoils your plans to spend all day at the park.
Promising review: "It rains here in the Pacific Northwest — a LOT. We'd just adopted a golden retriever, and already were faced with the 'wet dog smell' permeating throughout the house. This coat solved our problem beautifully, and I swear, the dog loves to wear it. It's extremely well-made, and the fabric is nice and thick (not the cheap thin stuff you see out there). The hole for the leash is perfectly situated over our dog's harness (it is NOT for use with a collar). This was a terrific investment and really did the trick!" —Michele
Get it from Amazon for $17.90 (available in sizes M–2XL and four colors).
32. A Wobble Wag Giggle ball that'll make your pup's day. The internal noisemaker and pockets will keep your pooch stimulated and excited so maybe they'll actually be ready for bed by the time you head back inside.
Promising review: "Wow!! This hasn't been out of the box 10 minutes and my little Shih-Poo Girl is exhausted!! She loves squeaky toys, but she usually has the squeaker out in 5–10 minutes, and she gets upset because they don't make noise anymore. I was looking on Amazon for some dog toys and I was watching the video about this ball and she heard the noise and started barking and looking all over for it, That's when I knew I had to try it with her. Now she can get some exercise that I cannot personally help her with (I'm disabled)." —hill1000
Get it from Amazon for $11.99+ (glow-in-the-dark version also available).
33. A portable shower attachment perfect for giving your dirty dog a quick clean on the go. Fido just rolled around in a mud puddle at the park? NBD! Just attach this thing to any standard plastic water bottle opening and give them a lil' wash so they don't destroy your car on the way home. Plus, it's machine-washable!
34. And finally, a training course if your doggo needs serious exercise and stimulation that goes way beyond a simple game of fetch.
This set includes a high jump, a collapsible tunnel, and six weave poles.
Promising review: "For the price, this training course set can't be beat. Yes, it is plastic and lightweight, but it's a great set to start teaching your puppy to jump and weave on command. The tunnel is short and wide enough that they feel safe enough to go through it. We followed this with some agility classes for fun (not competition) and Juliette knew just what to do. People were amazed that it was her first class. I had taught her the commands to tunnel, jump, and weave, and she understood. This will absolutely help your dog get some exercise and have some fun." —K.C.
Get it from Amazon for $49.99.