We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A high-voltage bug zapper for anyone who loves everything about lounging around outside except for the bugs. This lantern helps cut down on the mosquitoes, gnats, flies, and moths in an area up to 1,500 square feet.
2. A waterproof, non-toxic window fly trap that's virtually invisible, easy to apply and remove, *and* will trap even large bugs that you definitely don't want finding their way inside.
3. A Thermacell patio mosquito repellent to help banish mosquitos from your space, all while looking like a cute lil' diffuser instead of being an eyesore.
It comes with 3 repellent mats that last 4 hours each, and a fuel cartridge that lasts for 12 hours. If you need more, you can buy a refill pack of 12 mats and 4 cartridges from Amazon for $19.41.
Promising review: "Excellent product that does precisely what it says it does. We have a large patio area and use one of these on each side of the patio. We live in South Florida, and even in the height of mosquito season, we can spend an evening on the patio with these and not get a single bite. These are excellent!" —Luke W.
Get it from Amazon for $19.97+ (available in 11 colors and 2 styles).
4. A bottle of ant bait granules ingeniously designed for taking down entire colonies of ants before they can invade your home.
Just shake some out around the perimeter of your home, and you will see how quickly it works! The bait tastes like food and has a delayed reaction so that when a worker ant discovers it, they live long enough to bring it back to share with the queen and the rest of the colony. Sorry, ants.
Promising review: "No more ants! We've been using Amdro ant bait for years now, and it has never failed. Once we start seeing ants working their way into the house, we spread the granules around the perimeter — if we catch them early enough, we're good for the rest of the summer and rarely need to apply more than once." —KG
Get it from Amazon for $14.19.
5. Or some liquid ant killer that you can use for ants that have already found their way inside. It attracts the foraging ants who bring some back to nest to eliminate the others you may not even know are in your home.
Contains twelve pre-filled, ready-to-use bait stations for you to place near any signs of ants.
Promising review: "I was sick of ants coming into my house and finding my crumbs. I deployed the Terro liquid ant baits on a Saturday night. By Sunday, a steady trail of ants were coming and going from the ant trap. Clearly, word got out and the ants were excited to get everything back to their homes. I watched as they worked tirelessly to deliver sweet poison to their family back home. I watched and realized how many ants would die. Every time I glanced at the ants marching to and fro from the trap, I thought of how doomed their food scavenging mission was. I thought of their masses dying slow deaths — their old and their young alike. Yes, I was the evil super villain that was destined to eradicate their entire colony. By Tuesday, there were no more ants. Their blood is on my hands. With great power comes great responsibility. I am worse than Thanos. With the snap of the top of a Terro ant bait unit, I eradicated countless ant lives.
Immensely effective. 5/5 Stars. Obsessed with my newly found villain role and now have a sick hope of attracting a scavenging straggler from another colony so I can do it all over again." —MM
Get it from Amazon for $4.68.
6. A portable bug bite suction tool that literally sucks the venom out of your skin to help reduce itching and swelling from a mosquito, bee, or wasp sting. In other words, I'm not going anywhere without this thing ever again.
Note that the suction can be pretty strong, so use caution and try a small amount of suction first before working your way up if necessary.
Promising review: "I am a magnet for bites of all kinds and carry topical and medicines with me at all times — so I figured this would be a good product to see if it really works. I woke up with a bug bite on my arm so I used this little tool (three times per the instructions) — immediately after using, it stopped itching! And less than 24 hours later the bump/bite gone! There is a very faint red mark from using the thing, but a small price to pay IMO. Bottom line: it’s awesome. I’m carrying it with me everywhere!" —Rebecca
Get it from Amazon for $9.95.
7. An insect repellent made with picaridin instead of DEET that repels mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies — all without leaving behind a gross bug spray smell.
While picaridin isn't always quite as effective as DEET against mosquitos, it is still a great alternative for anyone who hates the smell and texture of other sprays and lotions.
Promising review: "This is the absolute best bug repellent out there. My four-year-old son is severely allergic to mosquito bites. When he does get bit, they swell to the size of a half dollar, get hard and hot and often turn into a staph infection. Every summer he was getting antibiotic prescriptions and I was starting to get seriously worried. We tried so many bug sprays but they just didn't work. My sweet baby is just irresistible. I took him to an allergist and he recommended Sawyer Picaridin. I have been so happy with this bug repellent. Since using this bug spray, we haven't had to deal with a single bug bite and no more antibiotics!!" —Sarah R.
8. Some flea and tick spray in case your beloved pets try to bring some tiny new friends inside with them. You know, the kind of new friends who love to snack on not just your pets, but you as well! The kind of new friends who leave behind itchy bumps and rashes? You bet! The kind of new friends who LOVE to lay like 50 eggs in a day? Those are the ones! GET RID OF THEM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.
This spray also kills bed bugs, which makes me love it even more. Note that you should NOT spray this directly onto pets.
Promising review: "My outdoor dogs got fleas which led to my indoor cats getting fleas, which led to an infestation. I had pest control come out, I bought a spray at Walmart, I took my pets to the vet for treatment, I gave my pets flea baths once a week, I vacuumed twice a day. Constantly doing laungry, changing sheets and pillow cases. They were still everywhere. I had to pick them off of my children daily, they were getting 30-50 bites. I wanted to cry from frustration, I hated my home. Well I got this spray because I was willing to try anything and everything until something worked and this did work!! I have not been so happy with something in a long time. I can actually enjoy my house again. It's been almost two weeks since I've used this product and I have not had to pick any fleas off my children since, nor have they had any bites. This really saved my sanity." —MAC
Get it from Amazon for $9.49.
9. Some sticky traps to help keep your houseplants free of obnoxious gnats, fruit flies, and other flying insects.
Promising review: "I just received these yesterday and put them up. Overnight they are already collecting the fungus gnats that have been driving us crazy! If this keeps up we should be rid of these little 'nose pests' soon! I was careful while putting them on the sticks but still managed to get some of the sticky residue on my fingers. All I did was wash it off with Dawn and it came right off. With having pets in the house, I'm glad to know these are a safe product." —Lois L. Meyer
Get a pack of seven traps from Amazon for $6.65.
10. A rechargeable electronic zapper that is a major upgrade from the old shoe you usually use to kill bugs.
No more frantically asking "did I get it?" while inspecting the bottom of a shoe only to find that the little bug WON'T DIE.
Promising review: "I was first introduced to the bug zapper at the beach with my family last summer. I couldn't believe how it made our lives at the beach so much more pleasant....flies that found their way into the house were our nemesis. We used to spend half our time trying to rid ourselves of them. The zapper was and is perfect for its purpose of getting rid of small flying insects. And the kids who are under the age of 13 can safely use." —MADSOB
Another promising review: "Love this for the pests that swarm in the summer here in the NE. The largest wasp I had ever seen was unfortunate enough to meet this zapper. Didn’t end well for the wasp. I don’t go outside without this." —Peta
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in three sizes).
11. Some mosquito bits that control larvae population because if they can't breed, they can't feed (on you).
Promising review: "Not one season has gone by without me using these marvelous little mosquito bits. They really do make a difference; it's the difference between wearing shorts and a tank top to water my flowers and having to wear a full-length space suit drenched in citronella." —Jeni Rein
Get it from Amazon for $12.10+ (available in three sizes).
12. An under-door seal to ensure that no bite-y little visitors sneak in even when the door is closed.
Promising review: "I bought this because bugs were starting to get into the house and in order to fix what was wrong with the door we would have had to take the door off the hinges. We really wanted an easy fix since we will be putting in a new door come spring. My husband put this on and it has worked great. Not only are the bugs staying out but the extra noise and cold coming in are no longer a problem. I would definitely recommend this." —Rose E. Archambault
Get it from Amazon for $8.99 (available in four colors).
13. An instant screen door that takes five minutes to install — no tools (or damage to your door frame) required! The hands-free, magnetic auto-close feature automatically shuts the screen every time you walk through it, making it great for kids, pets, and adults with full hands. Now you can let the cool air in while keeping the bugs OUT.
Promising review: "We have dogs who like to go in and out all the time in the spring and summer months. Before we had this screen we were getting bombarded by flies and moths and other flying critters. We threw this up and the bugs are gone!! Our dogs quickly got used to the screen and running in and out of it. It looks fairly discreet and it just works. I didn't end up using the sticky tape to secure it to the sides of the house, but it hasn't been less effective because of that. The magnets work all right but I find it easier to just push the screen out of the way when going inside or out.
This thing has made such a huge different and for the money is absolutely worth trying. We debated about a custom screen 96-inch door that was going to cost a fortune to be made, which would only allow us to keep the door open for air, but then we'd still have issues with the dogs running in and out... this is a much better solution!" —Techno T
Get it from Amazon for $56.99+ (available in three sizes).
14. Some cockroach gel – they work quickly to take down the entire colony. If you have tried everything and are at the point of giving up (or moving out), try this first!
Promising review: "Wow, I mean wow. I live in a typical East Coast low-rent apartment. The roaches I had were unapologetic. My kitchen was a roach playground. It was so bad, I saw them in my dinner. I stopped cooking because they were raining from the ceiling. I would sleep on my bed and roaches would crawl into bed with me. I stopped carrying purses because roaches would follow me. Enough was enough. I talked to a cab driver who recommended this to me. I decided to buy it on the spot. When my order arrived, I thought it was weird at first. I didn't understand why i had to use syringes. But once I figured it out, I used the four corner method in ever room of my place. When I tell you roaches were dying, no bug spray could ever do what this stuff did. I have never seen so many bugs in my life. After they all died (it took three days). I haven't seen a roach ever since. It's been three months now." —The Official Product Junkie
Get it from Amazon for $34.89.
15. A BUG-A-SALT 3.0 — it offers an alternative to the classic fly swatter by firing a pinch of ordinary table salt at those bugs that just won't quit. Please use with caution, though, and do not point it at people, pets, or non-pest bugs like butterflies, praying mantises, dragonflies, etc.
Promising review: "Best way to kill house flies. Every summer I get numerous flies in my house. They hang out by the door, and when I open it they rush in. Previously, I've tried the fly swatter. It works, sometimes. Usually they move or I knock something else over. This weapon is extremely effective at neutralizing flies. From a foot or two away, I aim and blast the fly. Minimal to no residue, dead fly that never saw what's coming, and a happy me. Highly recommend. It works as designed. I think my best kill streak is nine flies in a two minute period...outside. They were congregating along the siding waiting for me to go in. Jokes on them, I had my Bug-A-Salt. Rapid fire blasting, one by one they fell. Just being stupid little flies, while I calmly loaded another shot, took aim, and sent the next fly to Hades." —Bill
Get it from Amazon for $44.95.
16. Some window screen repair tape so you don't have to worry about stealthy bugs sneaking in through holes in your screens. No need to spend a lot of money replacing the whole screen!
I finally bought this because EVERY TIME I tried to open my bedroom window to let in a cool evening breeze, I got the added bonus of ending up covered in bites while watching an alarming number of mosquitos crash headfirst into my bright laptop screen. NOT TODAY, SATAN! It was super easy to stick this repair tape over the slits and holes in my admittedly very old screen, and now I can keep my window open without inviting all the mosquitos in the neighborhood inside for a midnight snack.
Promising review: "My screen had tiny holes in it and flies were finding their way through. When I cut a piece of this screen repair it actually stuck to the screen and stopped all the bugs! I had used other products and they always rolled up and fell off! This repair hasn't moved and is still stuck on the screen! Even the sun hasn't dried it out!!! I recommend this tape to all reading this message!!!!" —Maureen D
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in two colors).
17. A DEET-free bug repellent made from essential oils that also doubles as a skin moisturizer. It uses ingredients like citronella, lemongrass, aloe vera, and more to ward off the pesky bugs while keeping your skin soft and nourished.
Garner's Garden is a Black-owned brand that focuses on natural personal care products, ranging from facial, body, hair, and oral care.
Promising review: "I use this everyday, twice a day. It hydrates my skin very well, smells great and the flying pests hate it 😄 I love it!, the mosquitoes literally try to land on my skin then fly away LOL. TAKE MY MONEY." —Lee L.
Get it from Garner's Garden for $12.99.
18. A powerful, nontoxic fly trap you can hang in the corner of the yard to keep the flies from bothering you every time you wanna eat outside.
Just add water to activate, hang it up outside, and watch it fill up with flies! If possible, try to place it 20 feet away from any living space, because it does have an unpleasant odor.
Promising review: "Can't live without this! I've used this bag for two years now (well, not the same bag). I have a dramatic decline in fly numbers. I use it on my chicken coop run. During the summer I have to replace the bag about every 30 days because it fills up so fast. We have both cows and chickens on our farm so you can pretty much bet we're going to have a ton of flies. We can now sit on our deck with nary a fly in sight." —Rachael
Get it from Amazon for $11.42.
19. A camping hammock with a mosquito net so you can actually relax in nature without spending most of the time swatting and STILL ending up covered in itchy, persistent welts. This thing really keeps the creepy crawlies out!
The net isn't removable but if you choose not to use it, you can flip it to the underside while in use.
Promising review: "My husband loves this. He got it for Father’s Day and goes camping nearly every weekend. And where we live, the mosquitoes are huge and horrible, the net really works." —Becky Roswold
Another promising review: "Keeps them bugs out! Gotta love those mosquitos flying around looking for a way in! Keep trying you bugs, NO ACCESS for YOU!" —Ybp9003
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in three sizes and ten color combos).
20. Some dryer sheets because I recently learned that bees really hate the way they smell and will leave you alone if you keep one in your pocket!
Here's the deal: I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of anything even slightly resembling a bee or wasp, but I LOVE eating outside. Predictably, I didn't make it through a single outdoor meal on my porch this summer without jumping out of my chair and flailing around because of a bee invasion. Eventually, I'd had enough. I didn't want to buy anything that would kill them, because bees are really important and also generally non-aggressive if you don't mess with them. When I heard that dryer sheets repel them without harming them, I figured it was worth a try, and it ACTUALLY WORKED! I used coasters to hold them down on the table, and any bees that came anywhere near my porch would quickly make a U-turn and hightail it outta there. "TELL YOUR FRIENDS!" I'd bellow into the cool evening air, and I like to think that they did.
Promising review: "I prefer sheets to liquid because they are a much better value. You can use the sheets themselves to repel bees. I found this out from a bee keeper when being swarmed. Put a couple in your shirt or pants pocket." —Melody Robinson
Get it from Amazon for $5.99.
21. A portable soothing balm to help reduce itching from those bites that JUST WILL NOT GO AWAY.
Bring this handy stick everywhere with you! It uses all natural ingredients to provide quick, no-mess relief from bites from mosquitoes, fleas, spiders, bed bugs, fire ants, and more. You can also use it to soothe reactions from poison ivy, chapped skin, sunburn, and other itchy afflictions.
Promising review: "This stick has saved my skin, literally. Mosquitoes LOVE to bite me and despite layering on spray, they always find a tiny patch of skin to bite. My 7-year-old is the same. We're like mosquito candy. Either way, this stick has saved our skin. I bought it after my daughter had torn open two mosquito bites on her leg and was bleeding everywhere. This arrived quickly and within seconds of applying it she stopped scratching. We didn't need to repeat applications, it just worked. Immediately. My whole family loves it and I've recommended it to friends." —Layla A. Wuthrick
Get it from Amazon for $15.99.
22. An ultrasonic pest repeller if you don't want bugs in your home but would rather not inflict death upon them. This device uses advanced ultrasound technology to make conditions for insects (and even mice) so intolerable that they naturally leave. "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!" —me to all the bugs in my house after plugging this thing in.
While pests can't stand this thing, it *is* safe for humans and pets!
Promising review: "I purchased the Ever Pest Rodent Repelling Device to put in my basement. We have a walk out basement which has always been prone to pests — bugs, rodents, etc! I have small children, dogs and chickens and it is very important to me to keep them safe and not use harsh dangerous chemicals. I had been looking for a while for something inexpensive that would actually work and not be a threat to my family. This could not be any easier — all you have to do is plug it in and that’s it! It has a blue nightlight which I love — because I know it’s on and it’s working! In the past we’ve seen droppings by the basement door (from mice) and spiderwebs, ants, etc. — but now after plugging it in by my basement door...... a few days later there is nothing! Definitely going to order more for other spots in my home!" —sladerade85
Get it from Amazon for $29.98.
24. Herb-filled repellant packets that smell great to humans, but are absolutely hated by ants and other pests.
Owner Joanne Roth's small business is located in Athens, Georgia. Each cute sachet is filled with delicious smelling (to humans, repugnant to bugs) East Indian lemongrass, tulsi-rama, peppermint, smudging sage, artemesia-southernwood, artemisia sweet Annie, cedar leaves, lavender, lemon balm, and artemesia-mugwort.
And pro tip from the seller: "After six months of use in your drawers, closets, under beds, around computers, pantry, or anywhere, boil one bag for about 10 minutes, in one gallon of water. Let steep and then cool, and strain into a spray bottle to use on yourself, around your home or on your plants (in or outside) to deter bugs. You can then sprinkle the left