They have raised over $4,000 so far.
The donation page was initially called “Jennifer Lawrence and Reddit”, but was later renamed “The Fappening” to highlight the fact that the actress had not been consulted on the choice of charity, and to reflect the given name of the leak of the nude photos.
Reddit users have been leaving comments on the site and the donation page discussing their decision to give money to charity.
6. Reaction on Twitter has been divided. Some believe it perpetuates rape culture.
7. Others see the movement as something good that has come from the leak.
8. Update — Sept. 2, 2014, 5:45 p.m. ET:
9. The Prostate Cancer Foundation released the following statement saying they do not condone the Reddit campaign and will return any donations:
September 2, 2104 — A post appeared on Reddit late Monday afternoon, September 1, 2014. A Reddit user directed other Reddit users to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Foundation without the Foundation’s knowledge. We would never condone raising funds for cancer research in this manner. Out of respect for everyone involved and in keeping with our own standards, we are returning all donations that resulted from this post.
10. Update: Sept. 5, 2014. 6.14 a.m. ET
11. Water.org have shut down an alternative giving page set up by Reddit. The text on the donation page read:
Due to the very fortunate events suddenly erecting in the last few days, Reddit would like to extend its thankfulness and return the favor. We know the feeling of being completely parched, only to have water leaked into our mouths. So we hold stiff in believing toward your cause… (Puns and awful immature humor aside, to the owners of this website, we genuinely want to help you guys, and the people affected by their water situation. People have their reasons on why we’re donating, when in reality all we’re trying to do is make light out of a rather bad thing, and have a few laughs about it. Which isn’t exactly the most noble of reasons to donate, but definitely shouldn’t be the reason of one’s donation being rejected. Originally, our target was the Prostate Cancer Foundation, but they refused our donations of about $15,000. We hope this will not be the case with you guys.)
You can find a cached version of the website here.