1. Workaholic Single Woman
The workaholic single woman is a romcom staple. But when you put her in a Christmas movie—not only does she work too hard to find love, she works too hard to know the true meaning of Christmas. Double whammy!
3. Someone Wants To Shut Something Down
The family business, an old thing, a special/important thing—whatever it is, it’s gonna get shut down and they have to save it. Often an evil real estate developer is involved. And the worst part? Evil real estate developers rarely, if ever, know the true meaning of Christmas.
4. Somebody Died Or Is Dying
It’s the most efficient way to let your audience know this is a serious Christmas movie. And once all the characters are nice and sad, only one thing can cheer them up. Is it the magic of Christmas? No doy.
5. Someone Straight Up Is Santa Claus
Despite a moderate amount of skepticism from the protagonist, you discover that some regular dude is the real Santa Claus. And everyone’s like “Whaaaaaaat?”
6. Someone Is Unemployed
A high percentage of TV Christmas movie protagonists are unemployed around the holidays. Can the spirit of Christmas get them a job? Who cares! The spirit of Christmas is there to ensure that they have a nice Christmas and then after that they’re on their own. Not the Christmas Spirit’s problem.
7. Someone Has To Repeat Christmas
A ton of TV Christmas movies use the “Groundhog Day” method. You just keep doing Christmas over until you get it right. Because you have to learn a lesson. About Christmas.
How is this even possible? I think you know all too well that the magic of Christmas has its fingerprints all over this.
8. Someone MUST Find Love Via Christmas
The protagonist is way single and probably not even looking for love. But guess what. The spirit of Christmas is not just going to let someone be single. No way, not when Christmas magic can make you fall in love. Maybe even Santa brings you a mate as your Christmas gift. You’re welcome!
9. Car Accident
A car accident is a fast, easy way to add drama and plot to your made-for-TV movie. Even though it’s not the nicest thing to do to your characters, right when they were trying to enjoy Christmas, it’s OK! There’s one thing that’s no match for any accident—Yeah, it’s Christmas again.
10. A Wacky Mixup
Whether a rich girl is switching bodies with a poor orphan or someone somehow got on a plane to the wrong destination and spent Christmas with the wrong family, it’s not Christmas without some kind of mixup—and it better damn well be wacky.
11. Vaguely Familiar Actor You’ve Maybe Seen In Something Else
Wait, is that? Should we bring up IMDB? Nah, just roll with it.
- An airplane carrying Republican VP candidate Mike Pence skidded off the runway at New York City's LaGuardia airport. No one was injured.
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀