1. New studies show heavy marijuana smokers are at greater health risks as cigarette smokers.
Since a majority of marijuana and tobacco is smoked, bronchitis and other respiratory diseases and complications are common.
2. The U.S. Government had an official expert on marijuana appointed from 1938-1962 that had to testify in court.
3. The very first thing bought and sold over the internet was marijuana in 1971.
A Stanford student bought marijuana from an MIT student
4. The active ingredient in marijuana is called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol)
This is what creates the mind-altering affect when marijuana is used.
5. Marijuana can cause numerous health issues past respiratory problems.
In the short term, memory problems, paranoia, hallucinations, lowered reaction time, impotence in males, and coordination issues- which is why you can be charged with a DUI after using marijuana. In the long term, impaired thinking, relationship issues, addiction, financial issues, poor mental performance, and even declines in IQ have been found.
6. It has been found that chocolate produces similar effects in the brain as marijuana.
7. Studies found that men are twice as likely to use marijuana than women.
Using marijuana 3 or more times a week is considered heavy usage. It's also been found that women are more sensitive to the effects of marijuana during ovulation and are more likely do develop a tolerance to the drug.
8. In college, President Barack Obama was a member of a group that played basketball and smoked marijuana called the "Choom Gang".
9. Marijuana raises heart rates, which may increase the risk of heart attack and other heart issues.
Older people and adolescents, as well as people with heart issues are at the highest risk for marijuana related heart issues.
10. Marijuana could become a gateway drug.
The use is linked to other addictions such as nicotine found in cigarettes. Studies show that THC makes the use of other drugs more pleasurable to the brain. Although they are linked, it doesn't necessarily mean that marijuana users will go on to use "harder" drugs.
11. Marijuana is a drug of many names.
It's also referred to as Cannabis, weed, pot, grass, herb, Mary Jane, Reefer, MJ, Skunk, Kif, Gangster, Boom, Chronic, Ganja, and more. It's estimated 160 million people worldwide use it.
12. Hemp and Cannabis plants are the same spiecies
The major difference between the two are that Marijuana producing plants contain THC, industrial hemp plants do not produce THC acid, the active, mind altering substance.