1. The trial of two women accussed of defrauding Nigella Lawson’s ex-husband Charles Saatchi was delayed this morning following comments made by David Cameron.
Sisters Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo, Lawson’s former aides, are accussed of defrauding Charles Saatchi out of £300,000.
2. The case was delayed after the Prime Minister said he was on “Team Nigella” in a magazine interview.
Judge Robin Johnson delayed the case for an entire morning because he felt the need to look through “a large number of press reports” regarding Cameron’s comments. He said it was a shame to waste court time in this manner.
3. Judge Johnson directly attacked the Prime Minister’s decision to speak out while the case was ongoing.
It is of regret when people in public office comment about a person who is involved in a trial which is in progress.
4. Cameron’s comments were made in an interview for The Spectator’s bumper Christmas edition.
5. Here’s how the Spectator editor Fraser Nelson wrote up their discussion.
I ask a question I feel sure he’ll dodge: about the trial of Charles Saatchi’s former housemaids and the revelation that his ex-wife, Nigella Lawson, used cocaine. Her fans have rushed to her defence: ‘Team Nigella’ is used as a hashtag on Twitter and even sprayed on city walls. Is the Prime Minister on Team Nigella? ‘I am,’ he says. ‘I’m a massive fan, I’ve had the great pleasure of meeting her a couple of times and she always strikes me as a very funny and warm person. Nancy [Cameron’s nine-year-old daughter] and I sometimes watch a bit of Nigella on telly. Not in court, I hasten to add.’