1. Behold the rise of Ikea, which grew from zero stores in 1943 to 347 stores in 2014.
4. Barker told BuzzFeed the map tells a unique and surprising story:
“Who knew how late it came to the U.S. or as many people on Twitter have pointed out, how late it came to the U.K., especially after expanding very early into Australia and western Canada (so far from Sweden). Ikea is a different destination for shoppers compared to Walmart; you go once or only a few times every year. Walmart you might go to on a monthly or even more frequent basis. It’s likely this caused the slow, far-flung and lower overall growth compared to Walmart.”
Barker used Ikea’s website and Google maps to pinpoint locations of current stores, and combed through various Ikea data to identify opening dates.
- Charlotte police have released video of Keith Lamont Scott's shooting and photos of a gun they say he had loaded.
- The man suspected of shooting and killing five people in a Washington mall is now in custody, officials said.
- Kim Kardashian said she is voting for Hillary Clinton after being quoted saying she was "on the fence."