1. Behold the rise of Ikea, which grew from zero stores in 1943 to 347 stores in 2014.
4. Barker told BuzzFeed the map tells a unique and surprising story:
“Who knew how late it came to the U.S. or as many people on Twitter have pointed out, how late it came to the U.K., especially after expanding very early into Australia and western Canada (so far from Sweden). Ikea is a different destination for shoppers compared to Walmart; you go once or only a few times every year. Walmart you might go to on a monthly or even more frequent basis. It’s likely this caused the slow, far-flung and lower overall growth compared to Walmart.”
Barker used Ikea’s website and Google maps to pinpoint locations of current stores, and combed through various Ikea data to identify opening dates.
- Donald Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Famine in South Sudan has left 100,000 people facing starvation and nearly 8 million in need of immediate assistance, UN agencies say.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it's the definition of friendship goals 😎