These beaches all received abysmal ratings for summer water quality in Heal the Bay's new Beach Report card. And dirty water can make you sick: "the regional public health cost of gastrointestinal illnesses caused by recreating in polluted ocean waters was between $21 million and $51 million each year."
1. Malibu Pier, 50 yards east, in Los Angeles County. Grade: C
2. Stillwater Cove in Monterey County. Grade: D
3. Cowell Beach at wharf in Santa Cruz County. Grade: F
4. Clam Beach County Park in Humboldt County. Grade: D
5. Lovers Point Park in Monterey County. Grade: C
6. Santa Monica Municipal Pier in Los Angeles County. Grade: D
7. Capitola Beach in Santa Cruz County. Grade: C
8. Mothers Beach, between the Tower and the boat dock, in Los Angeles County. Grade: F
9. Cabrillo Beach, harbor side at the restrooms, in Los Angeles County. Grade: F
Despite these gross beaches, California's coast actually did pretty well overall at cleanliness in the report. Read the entire report and see where you should go here.