3. Meis also pepper sprayed Ybarra and, along with other students, confined him until the police caught up. Investigators called Meis a hero and said they were in awe of his selflessness.
Jon Meis is taken from the scene of the shooting Thursday.
5. The shooting happened just two weeks before Meis’ wedding. As people learned of his heroism, they wanted to thank him and began buying the gifts on his wedding registry.
7. Random strangers shared the link to Meis’ registry online.
18. The campaign quickly spread online and in local media. It reached its goal of $5,000 within hours.
20. Meis’ wedding is scheduled for June 21. By Friday night, more than $6,800 had been contributed.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.