1. UPDATED — 4:15 a.m. ET
3. A 72-hour cease-fire ended early Thursday night when a series of rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel, according to the Israeli military.
6. In response, the Israeli military carried out airstrikes against “terrorist infrastructure in Gaza,” according to an Israel Defense Forces spokesman.
10. Friday’s round of hostilities began when at least two rockets from Gaza landed in an open field. They did not cause injuries or damage, the Associated Press reports.
Hamas denied it was responsible for the strikes. Islamic Jihad, along with another faction, later claimed responsibility, the Washington Post reports.
The rocket fire came at the end of a day in which mediators in Cairo had tried to get both sides to extend the cease-fire, which began Tuesday. An official told the AP that Hamas decided not to extend the cease-fire because Israel rejected all of its demands.
11. The rocket attacks continued as the morning continued, with as many as 18 were eventually being fired toward Israel.
13. As the cease-fire ended Friday morning, Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv suspended flights for about 45 minutes.
- More than 90 people have died in Indonesia's earthquake, officials say. Thousands of rescuers are being deployed to the hit area.
- Fake news fools most Americans who read it — and Facebook is a major source, a BuzzFeed News survey has found 📰❌
- A refrigerator is being eyed as the possible origin of the fire at an Oakland warehouse party that killed 36 people, a law enforcement official said.
- An adorable 3-year-old boy proudly covered his kitchen with carrots in the greatest carrot heist of all time 😂👏