Hamas Rejects Extension Of Gaza Truce As Rockets Fall On Israel

The Israeli military said two rockets were fired into the country Thursday night. The rockets did not cause any injuries.

1. UPDATED — 4:15 a.m. ET

Amir Cohen / Reuters

3. A 72-hour cease-fire ended early Thursday night when a series of rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel, according to the Israeli military.

6. In response, the Israeli military carried out airstrikes against “terrorist infrastructure in Gaza,” according to an Israel Defense Forces spokesman.

In response to the renewal of rocket fire by Gaza terrorists at Israel, we are striking terror sites in Gaza.

— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson)

Confirmed: Following renewed terrorist aggression against #Israel, #IDF carried out airstrikes against terrorist infrastructure in #Gaza

— Peter Lerner (@LTCPeterLerner)

According to a witness, there was “a huge explosion and a plume of smoke” in Gaza City Friday following the Israeli air strike, Reuters reports. The Associated Press further reported that Israeli strikes resumed Friday “across Gaza.”

10. Friday’s round of hostilities began when at least two rockets from Gaza landed in an open field. They did not cause injuries or damage, the Associated Press reports.

Hamas denied it was responsible for the strikes. Islamic Jihad, along with another faction, later claimed responsibility, the Washington Post reports.

The rocket fire came at the end of a day in which mediators in Cairo had tried to get both sides to extend the cease-fire, which began Tuesday. An official told the AP that Hamas decided not to extend the cease-fire because Israel rejected all of its demands.

11. The rocket attacks continued as the morning continued, with as many as 18 were eventually being fired toward Israel.

Since 08:00, over 18 rockets were launched from #Gaza. 2 were intercepted above Ashkelon, 14 hit open areas, 2 landed short in Gaza.

— Peter Lerner (@LTCPeterLerner)

13. As the cease-fire ended Friday morning, Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv suspended flights for about 45 minutes.

As a precaution against any resumption of Gaza rockets, Israel suspended take-offs and landings at Ben-Gurion Airport between 7.30 and 8:15.

— Dan Williams (@DanWilliams)

Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!

Jim Dalrymple is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Jim Dalrymple II at jim.dalrymple@buzzfeed.com.

More News

More News

Now Buzzing