1. The colorful West Indian Day Parade wound through the streets of Brooklyn Monday.
The parade went down Eastern Parkway and ended at Grand Army Plaza.
3. The celebration typically draws about 1 million people. Last year, organizers said it was the “largest cultural festival in the country.”
This year’s parade began on a tragic note, however, after a man opened fire on a crowd before dawn. A man and a woman were struck. The Associated Press reported that the parade “often kicks off under a shadow of violence,” with similar events happening before previous parades.
4. The festival is a celebration of Caribbean culture. The parade includes dancers…
5. And floats.
6. And more dancers.
7. And people on stilts.
8. And still more dancers, many of whom wore elaborate Carnival costumes.
9. Other participants wore traditional dresses.
10. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio attended the parade with his family, and spent part of the festivities in mid-air.
Actually, de Blasio and co. were doing the “smackdown” dance, according to the Associated Press.
12. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo also attended the parade.
13. And so did these guys.
- At least 29 people are dead and 166 hurt after explosions outside a stadium in Turkey, the country's interior minister said.