back to top

Dallas Cowboys Player C.J. Spillman Under Investigation For Sexually Assaulting Woman

The assault allegedly took place on Sept. 20, and Spillman has not yet been disciplined. The NFL is "looking into" the case, a representative told BuzzFeed News in a statement Thursday.

Posted on

Dallas Cowboys special teams player C.J. Spillman, 28, is under investigation for sexually assaulting a woman on Sept. 20.

The assault reportedly happened at the Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas, police told BuzzFeed News. Sgt. Robert Eberling said the assault involved a woman, but police did not provide additional details.

The center is the Cowboys' official hotel. Police described Spillman as "involved" in the investigation, the New York Daily News reported.

The Dallas Cowboys did not immediately respond to a request for comment from BuzzFeed News Wednesday evening.

Spillman reportedly played in a game the day after the alleged assault, when he made one tackle. He has been a member of the Cowboys for one month and previously played for the San Francisco 49ers, which he joined in 2010.

Advertisement

A civil rights lawyer is representing a woman who has brought rape allegations against an NFL player, though it was not immediately clear if that player is Spillman.

Attorney Gloria Allred's letter — dated Oct. 1 and addressed to NFL Executive Vice President Jeffrey Pash — discusses "rape allegations" but does not mention Spillman by name. When asked by BuzzFeed News if the letter was referring to Spillman, Allred said she had "no comment," adding "we are not disclosing the name of the player."

Though Allred has not publicly identified the player involved in her case, she held a news conference on Monday in which she said that player should have been pulled off the field, but was not.

Attorney Gloria Allred says NFL conduct policy suggests player accused of rape should have been pulled off the field

Elex Michaelson@ABC7ElexFollow

Attorney Gloria Allred says NFL conduct policy suggests player accused of rape should have been pulled off the field

3:36 PM - 29 Sep 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Instead, the Daily News reported last week, Allred said the player was allowed to go back on the field Sept. 21, the day after the report of the alleged assault was filed with police. That timeline matches Spillman's case.

Allred has previously been highly critical of the way NFL commissioner Roger Goodell handled Ray Rice's assault case.

Update: The NFL is "looking into" Spillman's case, a representative told BuzzFeed News in a statement Thursday.

When BuzzFeed News asked about the allegations against Spillman and whether or not he would continue to play, the NFL responded with this statement:

We have been looking into this matter and will continue to do so. At this point there is a confirmed law enforcement investigation that has not resulted in an arrest or formal charges. We have offered to Ms. Allred to make our special advisor Lisa Friel available to interview her client on a confidential and appropriate basis to obtain more information.

Read Allred's letter here:

Jim Dalrymple is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.

Contact Jim Dalrymple II at jim.dalrymple@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.