1. Boys from 27 high schools in the French city of Nantes were given the chance to wear skirts Friday to school as part of an anti-sexism demonstration.
3. The demonstration was called “Ce que soulève la jupe” — alternately translated as “what raises the skirt” and “lift the skirt” — and was backed by the city’s education authorities.
5. Officials also encouraged girls to wear skirts.
7. Student Arthur Moinet, an organizer for the demonstration, said the event was sparked by an ongoing problem with sexism in his region.
9. Boys were not required to participate, though a majority supported the demonstration, Euronews reported.
11. Boys who didn’t want to actually don a skirt could wear a pin reading, “I fight sexism, what about you?”
15. Gender has been a contentious topic in France recently, with the country passing a new equality-oriented education curriculum earlier this year.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- According to the World Bank, a child born in 2014, on average, will live for more than 71 years.
- A 2-year-old boy lost a race at school after he spotted his dad and ran to hug him instead of crossing the finish line 👦💨💞