1. Boys from 27 high schools in the French city of Nantes were given the chance to wear skirts Friday to school as part of an anti-sexism demonstration.
3. The demonstration was called “Ce que soulève la jupe” — alternately translated as “what raises the skirt” and “lift the skirt” — and was backed by the city’s education authorities.
5. Officials also encouraged girls to wear skirts.
7. Student Arthur Moinet, an organizer for the demonstration, said the event was sparked by an ongoing problem with sexism in his region.
9. Boys were not required to participate, though a majority supported the demonstration, Euronews reported.
11. Boys who didn’t want to actually don a skirt could wear a pin reading, “I fight sexism, what about you?”
15. Gender has been a contentious topic in France recently, with the country passing a new equality-oriented education curriculum earlier this year.
- President Obama commuted the federal sentences of 111 prisoners, nearing a total of 700 over the course of his presidency.
- BuzzFeed News exposes a secretive legal system that allows corporations to intimidate entire countries with one threat.
- Facebook has a fake news problem. Phony content is still everywhere despite the network's promise to block it 📰👀