6. Andy Warhol, “Campbell’s Soup Cans,” 1962
The Campbell’s soup canvases were the first paintings Andy Warhol displayed in an art gallery; he made 32 canvases, one for each type of Campbell’s soup. They sold as a unit for $1,000, but now they all currently hang in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
7. Leonardo da Vinci, “The Adoration of the Magi,” 1481
In 1478, Da Vinci received a commission to paint an altarpiece for the Chapel of St. Bernard in the Palazzo Vecchio and, in March 1481, “The Adoration of the Magi” for the monks of San Donato a Scopeto. He didn’t finish either one, and a later hand finished this one for him.
11. Edvard Munch, “The Sick Child,” 1885
The painter of “The Scream” got his early start in poignancy with “The Sick Child,” a title given to collection of works surrounding the death of his older sister Johanne from tuberculosis at age 15. Throughout his career, he created several variants of the same painting.
13. Jackson Pollock, “Mural,” 1943
Considered by some to be the most important modern American painting ever made, Pollock’s “Mural” was an 8-by-20-foot canvas that foreshadowed his famous “drip” painting style. It belongs to the University of Iowa now, although it’s currently undergoing repair at the Getty Center in Los Angeles.
14. Sandro Botticelli, “Fortitude,” 1470
More than a decade before “The Birth of Venus,” Botticelli’s first dated work is part of a series of paintings on the four “worldly virtues,” along with temperance, prudence, and justice, and the three “Christian virtues” of faith, hope, and charity, all commissioned by the Commercial Courts of Florence, Italy. In this one, a young woman sitting upon a throne and holding a scepter personifies the virtue of fortitude. (Some claim she’s pregnant.)
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏