1. Michelle Williams poses for the cover of British fashion magazine “AnOther” this month… in a Native American-inspired ensemble.
The Oz the Great and Powerful star poses in stark black and white in a jacket and with feathers in her long braids, but the look might carry a more dubious subtext. As Refinery 29 notes: “The photo is in black-and-white, so you can’t tell for sure if they’ve altered her normally fair skin, but there is some definite contouring around the nose and the cheekbones that not only makes her look nearly unrecognizable, but also appears to mimic the stark relief of facial features often seen in early portraits of Native American women. The same mimicry applies her stoic, unsmiling pose — also a typical trope in that particular genre and period of art history.”
3. Of course, this isn’t the first time fashion’s gone the headdress route recently.
Weigh in: Is Michelle’s cover offensive?
(h/t Huffington Post)
- US intelligence officials issued repeated warnings to European allies about attacks by Russian state-backed hackers, but it was too little, too late.
- Gen. David Petraeus helped block the autopsy of an Afghan man who died mysteriously in US custody, emails obtained by BuzzFeed News show.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- People are in love with a dog who rides around in a decked out dog car spreading Christmas cheer to hospital patients 🐶🎄