5. Stare at this video for 45 seconds, then look at your palm.
12. Is this photo in black and white, or color?
14. The spirals that appear blue and green are actually the same color.
The reason why we are perceiving one color as two different colors is because of the other colors surrounding the stripes.
Each eye has six to seven million cones, which are concentrated in a central yellow spot known as the macula. These cones measure color in different wavelengths, where some of which overlap. Our brain then compares by measuring the differences in wavelengths between the colors. When certain colors are combined, the brain can’t process the data from the cones correctly and we get confused.
17. Try to focus on one of the dots.
If you keep your eyes on the black dots, they appear to form and vanish at the intersections of the horizonal and vertical lines. The effect is diminished if one is very close to the screen, further away or if one views at a 45 degree angle.
This illusion is known as the Scintillating grid.
19. World’s Largest Lightness Illusion
In this illusion, it appears that there is one set of black figures and one set of white figures. In fact, the two sets of figures are exactly identical and the same color.
They appear different because the surrounding regions they are on cause the visual system to segment the images into layers. Thus one set appears to be white figures behind dark clouds, and the other set appears to be dark figures behind light clouds. If you cut out the figures, you’d see they’re identical.
- The drug that killed Prince is causing an unprecedented wave of fatal overdoses, federal health officials say.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- WhatsApp will start sharing your account info with Facebook. You can decline the new policy, but must opt into it first 📲😵