9 Surprising Things That Might Not Be Vegetarian
Herbivores, prepare to have your day ruined.
1. Beer and wine: may contain fish bladders.
2. Red candies: may contain crushed beetles.
3. White sugar: may contain bone char.
4. Cake mix: may contain beef fat.
5. Bananas: might be protected with an insect-based preservative spray.
6. Worcestershire sauce: most contain anchovies.
7. Cheese: some include rennet, which comes from animal intestine linings.
8. Yogurt: some brands have animal-derived gelatin.
9. Anything enriched to be "heart healthy."
Omega-3s, which are added to many products as a supplement, are usually sourced from anchovy, tilapia and sardine ingredients. Read labels carefully. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil are an excellent vegetarian source of omega-3s!