1. Defeating the Defense of Marriage Act.
I mean, yeah, we CREATED it in the first place. But still, progress!
2. The civil rights movement.
3. Electing its first black president.
No matter your politics, this was a profound and poignant moment for our whole nation.
The veritable origins of baseball are murky, but you have America to thank for Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Joe Dimaggio, and the rest.
9. Building the Panama Canal.
Well, we finished building it in 1914, after France couldn’t get it together.
13. Jimi Hendrix.
Britain has Queen, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Beatles, and pretty much everyone else. But we have the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME.
15. The telephone.
Every time you sext, you are living out Alexander Graham Bell’s great vision for the modern age.
17. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, 1964.
“Now yesterday and today our theater’s been jammed with newspapermen and hundreds of photographers from all over the nation, and these veterans agreed with me that the city never has the excitement stirred by these youngsters from Liverpool, who call themselves the Beatles. Now tonight, you’re gonna twice be entertained by them. Right now, and again in the second half of our show. Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles. Let’s bring them on.”
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- A vandal allegedly smashed glass and threw a bible into a Colorado mosque on Sunday morning.
- Prime Minister Theresa May is starting the UK's withdrawal process from the European Union this week. But how will Brexit work?
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.