1. Defeating the Defense of Marriage Act.
I mean, yeah, we CREATED it in the first place. But still, progress!
2. The civil rights movement.
3. Electing its first black president.
No matter your politics, this was a profound and poignant moment for our whole nation.
The veritable origins of baseball are murky, but you have America to thank for Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Joe Dimaggio, and the rest.
9. Building the Panama Canal.
Well, we finished building it in 1914, after France couldn’t get it together.
13. Jimi Hendrix.
Britain has Queen, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Beatles, and pretty much everyone else. But we have the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME.
15. The telephone.
Every time you sext, you are living out Alexander Graham Bell’s great vision for the modern age.
17. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, 1964.
“Now yesterday and today our theater’s been jammed with newspapermen and hundreds of photographers from all over the nation, and these veterans agreed with me that the city never has the excitement stirred by these youngsters from Liverpool, who call themselves the Beatles. Now tonight, you’re gonna twice be entertained by them. Right now, and again in the second half of our show. Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles. Let’s bring them on.”
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦