1. Defeating the Defense of Marriage Act.
I mean, yeah, we CREATED it in the first place. But still, progress!
2. The civil rights movement.
3. Electing its first black president.
No matter your politics, this was a profound and poignant moment for our whole nation.
The veritable origins of baseball are murky, but you have America to thank for Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Joe Dimaggio, and the rest.
9. Building the Panama Canal.
Well, we finished building it in 1914, after France couldn’t get it together.
13. Jimi Hendrix.
Britain has Queen, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Beatles, and pretty much everyone else. But we have the GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME.
15. The telephone.
Every time you sext, you are living out Alexander Graham Bell’s great vision for the modern age.
17. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, 1964.
“Now yesterday and today our theater’s been jammed with newspapermen and hundreds of photographers from all over the nation, and these veterans agreed with me that the city never has the excitement stirred by these youngsters from Liverpool, who call themselves the Beatles. Now tonight, you’re gonna twice be entertained by them. Right now, and again in the second half of our show. Ladies and gentlemen, the Beatles. Let’s bring them on.”
- Arkansas has carried out the first double execution since 2000. The state had scheduled 8 executions before a key drug expires.
- "Stealthing," or purposefully removing a condom during sex without consent, has become a new trend. But victims say it is another form of assault.
- The same Russian hackers who interfered in the 2016 US presidential election are now active in German and French politics 💻
- A popular app changed the name of a filter after people complained it whitewashes them. The filter still lightens your skin though 🤔