3. The steam shooting from the Tin Man’s cap startles Toto, who runs out of the shot.
4. Judy Garland couldn’t stop giggling while filming the scene in which Dorothy slaps the Cowardly Lion. The director, Victor Fleming, took her aside and slapped her. She returned to the set and filmed the scene in one take.
Garland can still be seen laughing in between the lines “Well, of course not” and “My, what a fuss you’re making.” (GIFed above.)
6. Most of the Wicked Witch’s scenes had to be edited or cut all together after they were deemed too frightening for children.
13. The Scarecrow was unable to say the correct Pythagorean Theorem (right after he got his brains), so after multiple attempts, the director simply selected the best take and used it.
14. Dorothy’s white dress was actually pink, which was easier to shoot in Technicolor.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.