3. The steam shooting from the Tin Man’s cap startles Toto, who runs out of the shot.
4. Judy Garland couldn’t stop giggling while filming the scene in which Dorothy slaps the Cowardly Lion. The director, Victor Fleming, took her aside and slapped her. She returned to the set and filmed the scene in one take.
Garland can still be seen laughing in between the lines “Well, of course not” and “My, what a fuss you’re making.” (GIFed above.)
6. Most of the Wicked Witch’s scenes had to be edited or cut all together after they were deemed too frightening for children.
13. The Scarecrow was unable to say the correct Pythagorean Theorem (right after he got his brains), so after multiple attempts, the director simply selected the best take and used it.
14. Dorothy’s white dress was actually pink, which was easier to shoot in Technicolor.
- Republican members of Congress face angry town halls flooded with voters opposing the repeal of Obamacare and other parts of the Trump agenda.
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos defended the Trump administration rescinding transgender protections, despite reports she opposed the effort.
- Indiana police released audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.