1. There’s a secret size that’s not on the menu: the 8-ounce “short” cup.
It’s what kids’ hot chocolate is served in, but you can order any drink on the menu in a “short” size. (It’s probably not listed in order to tempt you to order larger, more expensive drinks.)
2. Starbucks owns Teavana.
Starbucks purchased the Atlanta-based tea chain in late 2012 for $620 million cash. The company is seeking to place Teavana stores in non-mall locations, as well as to install Starbucks-like “tea bars” inside the stores where customers can order handcrafted tea beverages.
7. The Chantico is the company’s biggest beverage flop.
Starbucks rarely releases total duds, but 2005’s Chantico bombed hard. Described as “a drinkable dessert,” Chantico was a 6-ounce hot “drinking chocolate,” aimed to mimic the sweet chocolate beverage served in many European cafes. Customers never took to the rich drink, in part because it couldn’t be customized. Starbucks yanked the drink in 2006.
11. The 30.9-ounce Trenta size cup is larger than the human stomach.
The average human’s stomach can hold 30.4 fluid ounces.
15. Starbucks spends more on health care for its employees than it does on coffee beans each year.
When Howard Schultz returned as CEO of the company in 2008 after a hiatus, the board pressured him to cut costs. Although he issued layoffs and closed several stores, he refused to cut employee health care, which was costing the company $300 million annually. Starbucks currently provides health care to employees who work 20 hours a week or more.
- Criticized previously for not forcefully speaking out, Trump condemned anti-Semitism after bomb threats were reported at 11 Jewish centers.
- Milo Yiannopoulos has resigned from Breitbart News after he was accused of defending pedophilia in an old video.
- President Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- West Elm pulled the Peggy Couch from its site after years of scathing customer reviews and complaints of buttons popping off 🙈