1. A sassy tote that also gives back.
These totes from bottledBrooklyn would make cute gifts for your (newly, maybe) unattached friends. A portion of every product sold is donated to World Food Program USA.
2. A random act of kindness.
Feb. 10-16 (this week!) is Random Acts of Kindness Week, which encourages you to “step out of your normal routine or comfort zone and attempt a new random act of kindness each day of the celebratory week.” Pay it forward to strangers — and your partner. Here are some ideas for RAKs if you need help getting started.
5. Run a charity race together.
Cupid’s Undie Run, which benefits the Children’s Tumor Foundation, takes place in cities all over the world and has participants dash through the cold in their undies for a mile. Festivities start this year on Feb. 15th. Fitness AND philanthropy (and undies)? Hip hip hooray!
6. This cute Valentine’s Day print.
For $20, this so-sweet print, made in Southern California, can be yours. $7 from the purchase of each item offered on sevenly.org is donated to the cause of the week. (This week it’s Mercy Ships, which “brings hope and healing to the forgotten poor by mobilizing people and resources worldwide, and serving all people without regard for race, gender, or religion,” and a sponsor will match your donation, bringing it up to $14.)
10. Support shelter animals.
3% of gifts bought from the ASPCA online store (like these heart paw pewter earrings, $19.99) goes toward supporting the ASPCA. And if you’re in the position of considering getting your own pet, show your love by adopting an adorable rescue animal from a shelter.
11. Make a different kind of wedding registry.
The I Do Foundation lets you register for charitable donations instead of grapefruit spoons and bath towels. They’ll also make placecards letting guests know you’ve made a donation in their name to use for your wedding favors.
13. And if all else fails, get drunk for a good cause.
One Hope Wines donates half of its profits to a different cause for each varietal of wine sold. Charities include the Cure Alzheimer’s Fund, the ASPCA, American Forests, Keep a Child Alive and others. Toast to your loved one with a glass full of goodwill!
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- French towns are still enforcing the burkini ban on Muslim women despite the country's highest court ruling the ban illegal.
- As Hillary Clinton denounced the alt-right in a blistering speech, the movement is more famous than ever.