1. Dopefiend by Donald Goines
2. Junkie by William S. Burroughs
3. ELVIS: The Last 24 Hours by Albert Goldman
4. Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson
5. Lithium for Medea by Kate Braverman
6. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
7. The King of Methlehem by Mark Lindquist
8. Digging the Vein by Tony O'Neil
9. Mine Enemy Grows Older by Alexander King
10. The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren
12. Trinities by Nick Tosches
13. Red-Dirt Marijuana and Other Tastes by Terry Southern
14. Dr. Feelgood: The Shocking Story of the Doctor Who May Have Changed History by Treating and Drugging JFK, Marilyn, Elvis, and Other Prominent Figures by Richard A. Lertzman and William J. Birnes
15. Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.
Jerry Stahl is the author of 8 books, including the narcotic memoir, Permanent Midnight, made into a movie with Ben Stiller, and the novels Bad Sex On Speed, Pain Killers, I, Fatty, (optioned by Johnny Depp) and - just out - Happy Mutant Baby Pills. Former Culture Columnist for Details, Stahl's widely anthologized fiction and non-fiction have appeared in Esquire, The Believer, Playboy, The Rumpus and a variety of other places. He has also written extensively for film and television, including, most recently, the HBO film Hemingway & Gellhorn.