We can all admire the hard work that actors put into their craft. In the year 2023, I think people are starting to agree that "method acting" is becoming a thing of the past and always has been a "little extra" in Hollywood.
Here are 19 times actors went too far with "method acting," and I think we need to put a halt to that behavior:
NOTE: I chose to omit actors who made drastic (and dangerous) changes in their diet to lose or gain weight.
2. Kate Winslet, who starred in The Reader, used her German accent beyond the cameras.
5. Sylvester Stallone convinced Dolph Lundgren to really punch him for Rocky IV...and ended up in the ICU.
6. Jamie Dornan followed a woman to prepare for a serial killer role.
7. Jim Carrey's behind-the-scenes behavior was erratic while on set for Man on the Moon.
8. Robert De Niro had his teeth ground down for Cape Fear.
9. For the film Birdy, Nicholas Cage got his two front teeth pulled out without anesthetic.
10. Robert Pattinson practically blacked out drinking in The Lighthouse.
11. Aaron Eckhart faked losing a child in a support group to prep for Rabbit Hole.
12. Tom Hanks suffered a staph infection during Cast Away filming.
13. Gary Oldman got nicotine poisoning from smoking too much for Darkest Hour.
14. Dustin Hoffman slapped (unscripted) Meryl Streep in Kramer vs. Kramer.
15. Daniel Day-Lewis stayed in a wheelchair, demanding to be spoon-fed for My Left Foot.
16. Throughout the filming of Scent of a Woman, Al Pacino claimed to be blind like his character.
17. Dennis Hopper did all kinds of drugs while performing his role in Apocalypse Now.
18. Shia LaBeouf got drunk off of moonshine throughout the shooting of Lawless.
19. Jared Leto gave cast mates weird gifts to stay in character as the Joker in Suicide Squad but also refused to communicate with the cast.
Did I miss any other cases of actors taking method acting too far? Comment below!