1. Sylvia Plath & Ted Hughes, poets
For Sylvia: All-American good looks, nylons, knee-length skirt
For Ted: Combed-down hair, British accent, sweater vest, brandy
Take it further: Replicate the night Sylvia and Ted met by biting into Ted’s face until he bleeds, leaving a circle of red tooth-marks around his cheek.
3. F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald, power couple trainwreck
For Zelda: Bob, flapper dress, crazy eyes, gin. Must always be the life of the party.
For F. Scott: Goofy smile, terrible hair, suit and tie, gin
Take it further: Spend the entire evening alternating between uproarious laughter, swing dancing, and blood-curdling screams.
5. Mr. Darcy & Elizabeth Bennett, Pride & Prejudice
For Darcy: Frilly white shirt, navy jacket, killer sideburns, British timidity
For Elizabeth: White gloves, pink lipstick, tight curls, super-virginal dress
Take it further: Bring a bucket of water and pour it on Darcy at the peak of the evening. Then he has to propose.
7. Jay Gatsby & Nick Carraway, The Great Gatsby
Jay: Signet ring, douchey cane, pale linen suit, inability to read social cues from women, money
Nick: Nice boy sweater, bowtie, slicked-back hair, sense of wonder and amazement at rich people
Take it further: Flirt with each other all night, because come on.
9. Charles & Sebastian, Brideshead Revisited
For Charles: Khakis, boat shoes, cigarettes, air of nostalgia and ennui, tartan scarf
For Sebastian: Khakis, boat shoes, cigarettes, air of nostalgia and ennui, sweater vest
Take it further: With champagne, a teddy bear, and profound sexual frustration.
11. Lancelot & Guinevere, Le Morte d’Arthur
For Lancelot: Knight costume, corrupt sense of honor
For Guinevere: Princess costume, aggressive sex drive
Take it further: Go as a threesome with King Arthur. Instead of wearing above costumes, have Lancelot and Guinevere wrapped naked in a bedsheet together. Leave King Arthur crying by the punch bowl.
13. Scarlett O’Hara & Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind
For Scarlett: Big pouffy dress, a hat with a long piece of fabric trailing off of it to shield you from the Southern sun, something satin, ladylike coiffed hair, kinky side
For Rhett: Suit, mustache, mini-sideburns, rogue airs
Take it further: Hold the pose on the cover of the novel (Rhett’s arms wrapped around Scarlett, Scarlett’s neck thrown back) all night.
14. Virginia Woolf & Vita Sackville-West, writer & socialite
For Virginia: Frumpy dress, loosely-tied hair, wedding band, Roman nose
For Vita: Wide-brimmed hat, gender-bending outfit, lots of jewels, family money
Take it further: With societal condemnation of your sexual inclinations, causing you to stay in a sexless marriage instead of fulfilling your probable lesbian impulses.
15. Salome & John the Baptist, Salome
For Salome: Sexy dancer outfit of any sort will do
For John: Bloody neck due to severed head, pale face due to being dead. Extra points for weird facial hair growth pattern and long dark hair.
Take it further: Carry John on a golden plate the entire evening while laughing maniacally and winking at all older men.
17. Franny & Zooey
For Franny: A fur coat that seems a part of your being, cigarettes, The Pilgrim’s Way
For Zooey: Towel wrapped around waist, fresh razor blade, rich boy shaving cream, terrible movie script and a well-worn letter
Take it further: This isn’t a romantic duo. They’re siblings. Spend the whole night bitching about your dead brothers.
18. Tomas & Sabina, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
For Tomas: All-black outfit, serious eyebrows, doctor’s stethoscope, promiscuous air
For Sabina: Black lace bra and panties, bowler hat, paint-splattered Oxford
Take it a further: Bring a mirror along. When people can’t guess your costume, place it on the floor and bend over it provocatively, as though the answer to your existence depends upon it.
21. Estragon & Vladimir, Waiting for Godot
For Estragon: Bowler hat, ill-fitting suit
For Vladimir: Bowler hat, ill-fitting suit
Take it further: Never shut up about your perennially late friend, Godot.
- International corporations that want to intimidate countries have access to a private legal system designed just for them. And to unlock its power, sometimes all it takes is a threat.
- Donald Trump's campaign CEO Stephen Bannon and an associate were accused of sexual harassment in a 1990s court case.
- And Apple has to repay up to €13 billion ($14.5 billion) in illegal tax benefits to Ireland, the European Commission has ruled.