It’s officially summer, which means frozen blended drink season is ON. This one is compliments of my friend Marty, who sent along a summertime favorite his mom makes at his family’s Santa Cruz, California beach house. “She uses a can of frozen Limeade and half-and-half, then gin and ice in a blender,” he wrote. “It’s pretty damn good.”
Simplicity, folks, can be genius:
SANTA CRUZ-STYLE LIMEADE
One can of frozen limeade concentrate … empty into a mixer
Fill the limeade container with half-and-half … empty into the mixer
Fill the limeade container with gin … empty into the mixer
Add ice and BLEND!
I followed Mrs. Machado’s directions exactly (this recipe was actually passed down from her grandmother) and found the proportions to be perfect. It’s cool, frothy, and tart, and pronounced by two independent testers, “like key lime pie in a cup.”
TIPS FOR LAZY AND CREATIVE BOOZERS
• I visited a few grocery stores before I found a can of Minute-Maid limeade. Don’t despair if you can’t get your hands on it — Mrs. Machado said she uses lemonade concentrate sometimes.
• I used Bombay Dry gin, which is good and clean-tasting for mixing.
• Don’t like gin? Use vodka.
• Try it with grated nutmeg on top!
• Although this is refreshing, it’s more like dessert than a drink, so you might want something lighter if you’re in for a long night. Or… dieting.
- Republicans presented Democrats with a spending plan that doesn't include funding for the border wall, stalling one of Trump's most controversial campaign promises.
- Fox News anchor Kelly Wright and 12 other current and former employees are suing the network for racial discrimination and harassment.
- Get ready for nonstop live video on Twitter. The platform is aiming to stream sports, news, and entertainment 24/7 📺📲
- And you can now see your Uber rating right in the app 🚙 👀