I’ve been a longtime fan of the Dark ‘n’ Stormy, a Caribbean concoction of dark rum and ginger beer, ever since I learned it from my dad, who favors Myers’s golden Jamaican rum as the drink’s operative ingredient. But when I read that Gosling’s actually made it ILLEGAL to call it a Dark ‘n’ Stormy with any rum aside from theirs, I emailed the company and requested what they deem proper dark ‘n’ stormy ingredients for further investigation. A bottle of Gosling’s Dark Black Seal Rum and six cans of their ginger beer arrived just in time for a summer tailgate party. We packed our bags and were off.
A pre-concert parking lot is not the place for precision, and the Dark ‘n’ Stormy is fine for that. Just fill a cup with ice, add a few fingers of rum (reference below), and top it off with a squeeze of lime.
The drinks were super-refreshing, spicily sweet, and gave a nice boost in the late afternoon. I love a splash of lime in mine, however my friend Erik (below) tried another variation with a healthy splash of lemonade on top. I’ll call his version the Dark ‘n’ Sunny. Erik can rock a pair of jean shorts like no man I know, and also grew up sailing, so I think we can trust him on this one.
TIPS FOR LAZY AND CREATIVE BOOZERS
• The Gosling’s was outstanding — and not just because it was complimentary. It’s way darker and more molasses-like than dad’s Myers’s (not better — just different), and as far as spiced rums go, makes Captain Morgan look a little sailor boy.
• If you have nutmeg — fresh nutmeg grated with a zester is ideal (not for a tailgate party, but if you’re in a kitchen) — sprinkle it on top!
• If you don’t have Gosling’s ginger beer, I also like Reed’s Original Ginger Brew.
- It's Inauguration Day — Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America at 12 p.m. ET 🇺🇸
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌