1. Cleverman is a gripping new Australian show set in the near future, featuring sci-fi and fantasy elements combined with real, raw characters and emotions.
2. It will take your breath away with heart-pounding action one minute...
3. And then make you cry your eyes out in the next scene...
4. Before giving you your damn life with completely badass moments once again.
5. It's also pretty spooky at times.
6. The characters are complex and irresistibly flawed.
7. Within the broad and rather epic story, the rivalry between brothers Waruu and Koen drives the plot.
8. Cleverman not only gives us an Australian superhero, but an Indigenous one.
9. The show is rooted in ancient Aboriginal mythology, with stories taken from several Aboriginal tribes across the country.
10. Like any good genre piece, it works as great entertainment on the surface while also providing social commentary at a deeper level.
11. The production values are excellent...
12. With the the special effects created by Weta Workshop - the geniuses behind the special effects for the Lord of the Rings movies.
13. Several episodes were directed by Wayne Blair, of The Sapphires fame.
14. The cast is 80% Indigenous - almost unheard of on mainstream TV, and a refreshing change.
15. There's also some stellar international stars in the mix.
Iain Glen of Game of Thrones plays millionaire mogul Jarrod Slade, and Frances O'Connor (who is Aussie, but has had huge success overseas) plays his wife, Charlotte, a doctor in the Zone - the area of the city where Hairies are confined.
16. Oh, and they're all a bunch of total babes.
Not that that's the most important thing, but also LOOK AT THIS HANDSOME.