1. Reader's Feast Bookstore, 162 Collins Street Melbourne
2. Kay Craddock Antiquarian Bookseller, 156 Collins Street Melbourne
With first editions of classic books valued in the thousands of dollars, a lot of books in this store are for serious collectors only – but there are some that are more attainable, and either way they sure are fun to browse.
3. Dymocks, 234 Collins Street Melbourne
4. City Basement Books, 342 Flinders Street Melbourne
Down the rabbit hole to stacks and stacks and stacks of second-hand books. Swoon.
5. The Little Bookroom, 759 Nicholson Street Carlton North and 5 Degraves Street Melbourne
6. Embiggen Books, 197 Little Lonsdale Street Melbourne
An excellent collection combined with beautiful decor and a cozy atmosphere means Embiggen Books is everything you want from an independent bookstore.
7. Readings, various locations
Readings is an iconic independent chain with five locations around Melbourne that are all worth a visit.
8. The Little Library, Level 2 Melbourne Central, Cnr LaTrobe and Swanson Streets Melbourne
Technically not a store, but still worth a mention because it's delightful. The Little Library works on an honesty system, whereby you can take any book you like, as long as you return it – or replace it with one from your own, preloved collection.
9. Metropolis Bookshop, Level 3 Curtin House, 252 Swanston Street Melbourne
10. Minotaur Entertainment, 121 Elizabeth Street Melbourne
This place specialises in science fiction, fantasy, comic books, and all things nerdy.
11. The Book Grocer, various locations
12. The Paperback Bookshop, 60 Bourke Street Melbourne
13. The Brunswick Street Bookstore, 305 Brunswick Street Fitzroy
The perfect place to put up your feet and pick up a book after browsing the many other shops along Brunswick Street.
14. PolyEster Books, 330 Brunswick Street Fitzroy
A bright and colourful store, full of everything that is weird and wonderful.
15. The Grub Street Bookshop, 379 Brunswick Street Fitzroy
Quiet, peaceful, and bursting with second-hand books of all shapes and sizes.
16. Hares & Hyenas, 63 Johnston Street Fitzroy
17. Bookhouse, 52 Robe Street St Kilda
A visually gorgeous bookstore with an eclectic collection of second-hand books and select new titles.