I Rewatched "Drive Me Crazy" As An Adult And Had So Many Thoughts
*extreme Britney voice* CRAAAZY.
It's time for another trip down memory lane (if you're new here: I've done this many times before). This week I've been CONSUMED by To All The Boys I've Loved Before (if you love teen movies, definitely check it out – I'm obsessed). So naturally when I thought about what '90s movie I wanted to revisit, I went straight for the one with the fake dating trope: Drive Me Crazy! Here's how the experience of revisiting it went down...
1. Huh. I didn’t realise how much I missed seeing Melissa Joan Hart’s face on my screen.
2. Her mum owns a slutty red halter?!
3. Oh hey baby Adrian Grenier! Wow, he really was such a babe.
4. A Got Milk? reference! Ah, the ‘90s.
5. Love some casual over-the-fence exposition in the morning.
6. Their parents are totally doing it, right?
7. CHASE IS SO HOT UGH.
8. I used to wear my hair in twists like that all the time.
9. THAT’s her mum’s red halter?! Whoa mama.
10. This whole outfit is so delightfully ‘90s.
11. Is Chase a criminal?
12. Hahaha every time I see old computers in one of these movies I can’t help but laugh.
13. Is he dealing drugs?
14. Brad is such a poor man’s Zack Morris.
15. I totally forgot Susan May Pratt, aka Mandela from 10 Things I Hate About You, was in this.
16. To be fair, I remember Britney Spears’ “Crazy” video clip much more than I remember this actual movie.
17. The only thing that’s really stuck with me from this is that scene where they all go swimming at some creek and chill in those giant tube things.
18. Omg I had no idea this was based on a book!
19. Oh Chase wasn’t dealing drugs, he was rigging the sprinkler system. What a rebel.
20. Ali Larter!!
21. Brad is, as Patrick Verona would say, without.
22. “Brad has all the appeal of toast.” Truuuuue.
23. Designated Dave! I remember him!!
24. SCREAMING at those little hair clips! I wore my hair just like that.
25. Ali Larter has really nailed Chase’s character tbh.
26. WHAT IS HE WEARING WHAT IS THAT TURTLENECK HAHAHAHAHA.
27. Oh he’s a Sad Boy™.
28. Why does Mandela talk in headlines?
29. OMG the BLOW UP COUCH!!!!!
30. “Cyber girls are hot.” Lololololol.
31. Her outfit! Those wedges! I HAD THOSE.
32. Nicole drunkenly going through her yearbook with a marker and scribbling on all the boys is a MOOD.
33. WTF is Chase’s photo?! Lmao.
34. Ah, the old boy-next-door-can-see-directly-into-my-room trope.
35. What’s so disgraceful about not having a date to some dance? Sigh.
36. I’m shook they didn’t have a shot of him perving on her in her bra. What a gentleman.
37. And he’s calling out the rampant homophobia in his school! How progressive for the ‘90s, considering many of the other movies I’ve watched are FULL of rampant homophobia themselves.
38. Aw, he’s brought her water.
39. The fact she didn’t drunkenly rip off her bra is the most unrealistic part of this movie.
40. Oooh a makeover on the GUY instead of the girl!
41. This is low-key a reverse She’s All That huh.
42. Wow um…she made him look worse?
43. Mess up his hair again! Untuck that shirt! Get rid of that belt!
44. “I could be getting paid?!” Okay I love him.
45. Wow his eyes are truly beautiful.
46. Ooft the R word.
47. “GO FIGHT WIN!”
48. Poor Designated Dave.
49. This scene of them signing in the car is cute as shit.
50. Omg it’s the dad from 7th Heaven!
51. Just a casual hot air balloon ride with Dad.
52. Drag him!
53. I’m cackling at her throwing his book over the edge.
54. The Donnas are in this movie too?!
56. I LOVE that Chase is sticking up for his friend.
57. And Nicole is mad about it?! Honey, no.
58. Oooh that’s a good Look™ from Mr Grenier.
59. Mandela is a major backstabber! I’m shook!
60. AHHH I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF “RUN BABY RUN” BY DEADSTAR! HOW?!??!?
61. *pauses movie to listen to it 10 times*.
62. YES I LOVE A FAKE KISS THAT IS TOTALLY A REAL KISS.
63. Nicole is sooooo into him.
64. How did we all cope with talking on the phone all the time in the ‘90s.
65. Like?? You’d answer the phone not even knowing who was on the other end??? Now I would NEVER.
66. Here we go, the swimming scene!
67. Those board shorts and tiny glasses the guys are wearing are taking me back hahahahahaha.
68. Of course a Barenaked Ladies song is playing.
69. “Big hands, big feet…” Oh is this where I learned that little myth that was consequently discussed EXTENSIVELY at school?!
70. Here for this little bonding moment between Dee and Chase.
71. THE BUTTEFLY CLIPS!!! OMG THE NOSTAAAAALGIA!!!!!
72. Mandela is a total snake. (I have no idea what her character’s name in this movie is lol.)
73. I had sunglasses just like that!
74. Love an explanation.
75. “I’m over it.” Narrator: he wasn’t.
76. Nicole totally ~gets~ him. My heart.
77. That zig zag part tho.
78. CRAAAAAAZY! Yas Britney.
79. Nicole’s hair is so unnecessarily complicated here.
80. Go away Mandela, you troublemaker.
81. Limes have never been so sexy.
82. Why did we think bright white eyeshadow was a good idea in the ‘90s?
83. I just remembered Dee is totally Designated Dave’s cyber girl, right?!
84. “I meant a real car not a matchbox.” Drag him straight to hell!
85. Fuck this guy.
86. YES GET HIM DAVE.
87. YES SPRAY HIM GIRL.
88. The yearning between Nicole and Chase is *Italian chef kiss*.
89. Omg this video hahahahahahhaa.
90. Chase looks HOT.
91. He’s really not into Ali Larter anymore. Her luuuurves Nicole.
92. Proms/dances are SO extra in these movies. Are they like this in actual American high schools?!
93. Ugh not here for this girl on girl hate.
94. Wow this break-up done through pure eye contact. Some serious eye acting going down in this scene.
95. YAY DAVE AND DEE!
96. Lol why is Chase just chilling on the sculpture?
97. This is so cheesy.
98. I LOVE IT.
99. “So who are we making jealous?” “Everyone, Nicole.” Ok I got butterflies.
100. NOW KISS.
102. Hahaha I knew their parents were doing it. Awks.
103. That was pretty cute. I mean, it’s an aggressively average movie. But damn if I ain’t giggling like a 13-year-old