1. First up, as expected, the black tiles representing the army of the dead reach all the way to Winterfell in the opening credits.
2. When Melisandre arrives at Winterfell, she stares at Arya for a moment — which of course turns out to be much more ~meaningful~ than it first appears.
3. Ser Beric Dondarrion's words to the Hound about Arya are also more significant than they first seem.
4. There are a lot of callbacks relating to Arya in this episode, reminding us of the fact her path has been leading her to this very role the whole time. Starting with her first lesson in killing...
5. Everything Syrio Forel taught her...
6. And, of course, Melisandre's very accurate prediction from Season 3.
7. It's a wonderful full-circle moment that the dagger intended to kill Bran in Season 1 was used by his sister to save him in Season 8 — and in the same act, the dagger that started the War of the Five Kings ended the Great War.
8. Circling back to the Night King: It was a surprise to Daenerys when he survived her dragon fire — but we saw back in Season 7 that he was resistant to it. He walked straight through it.
9. Meanwhile, Jon's interactions with the Night King in this episode called back to his terrifying confrontation with him at Hardhome.
10. The moment of Brienne and Jaime fighting together wasn't just visually cool, it also represented the two parts of Ice — Ned Stark's sword — coming together to defend his family and his home.
11. It's hard to tell for sure, but it definitely looks like Sansa and Tyrion take refuge behind Ned Stark's crypt.
12. Another great full-circle moment was Theon's arc in this episode. He defended Bran with his bow and arrow, just as he did back in Season 1 — and he died for the Starks, finally completing his redemption for betraying them.
13. Shoutout to our girl Lyanna Mormont, who proved her promise that a Bear Island soldier is worth at least 10 mainlanders. She took down the largest enemy, in a scene that echoed Wun Wun's death at Winterfell during the Battle of the Bastards.
14. And if you're wondering who actually died in this episode (since it was super hard to see in all the chaos and the complete lack of lighting), here are the characters we lost:
• Lyanna Mormont
• Ser Jorah Mormont
• Ser Beric Dondarrion
• Theon Greyjoy
• Dolorous Edd
• Qhono and literally all the Dothraki
• A big chunk of the Unsullied and the North
• The Night King, all the White Walkers, and the Army of the Dead