I Rewatched "10 Things" As An Adult And It's Definitely The Best Teen Movie Ever
I still know the poem off by heart.
Lately I've been revisiting the movies I was obsessed with as a teen. There were many I loved, but 10 Things I Hate About You was up there as one of my absolute faves. Here's how the experience of rewatching it went down..
1. Not gonna lie, I definitely kept watching this movie well into adulthood. But it's been awhile.
2. I love the colourful opening titles.
3. The contrast between the four preppy girls bopping to Barenaked Ladies, and Kat sitting alone listening to “Bad Reputation” is PERFECT.
4. I love Kat so much.
5. This castle-ass school is gorgeous.
6. “Blasting into the Year 2000” is the most 1999 prom theme ever.
7. Baby Joseph Gordon-Levitt! I remember watching this for the first time and thinking he was so GROWN UP, because I mainly knew him from early seasons 3rd Rock From The Sun.
8. We don’t talk enough about 3rd Rock From The Sun, btw. Such a good show.
9. “Same little ass-wipe shit-for-brains everywhere.” 13-year-old me was shook at a teacher saying that.
10. “I’ve got deviants to see and a novel to finish.” Omg my new Twitter bio.
11. HEATH. Oh, Heath. God, he was so beautiful in this.
12. As an Australian, the fact that he used his own accent in this movie was so important to me.
13. How did I completely miss/not care that he flashed the lunch lady though?
14. This whole bratwurst interaction is very inappropriate.
15. But Ms Perky then inserting "bratwurst" into her erotic novel still makes me laugh a lot.
16. Is it even a high school movie if there’s no walk-and-talk description of cliques?
17. I was so obsessed with Larisa Oleynik when I was younger. She was in this, Alex Mack, AND The Baby-Sitters Club. My faves.
18. “I burn, I pine, I perish.” I love that they actually use Shakespeare quotes in this. Of the many Shakespeare-turned-teen-rom-coms of the ‘90s/’00s, this is undoubtedly the best.
19. The juxtaposition between the line about Bianca being “beautiful and deep” and her saying “There’s a difference between like and love. Like, I like my Skechers, but I love my Prada backpack”, is SO DAMN GOOD.
20. Also I was so proud to own Skechers because of that line. But like Gabrielle Union, I did not have a Prada backpack.
21. Andrew Keegan! It’s so wild he grew up to start a cult.
22. “I guess in this society, being a male and an asshole makes you worthy of our time”. I’m so glad I was exposed to Kat Stratford at a young age.
23. “What did I miss?” “The oppressive patriarchal values that dictate our education.” “Good.” Not only is this very funny, I really love that it's how we first see Kat and Patrick interacting.
24. “Some day you’re gonna get bitch slapped. And I’m not gonna do a thing to stop it.” This teacher is great.
25. “What’s another word for engorged?” Me writing a novel.
26. The “Kat. Cat!” bit is very funny. Allison Janney is brilliant in this.
27. Kat is so proud to be called a heinous bitch. What a queen.
28. Cameron seriously knows nothing about Bianca and he is already pining for her. I didn’t realise when I was younger how superficial his attraction is.
29. Bianca’s sundress is so pretty. Honestly, her style in this movie was all of my fashion goals as a teen.
30. I think I actually dressed more like Kat, though? I definitely had an outfit exactly like the one she’s wearing right now.
31. “I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?” “I think you can in Europe.” This script endlessly quotable.
32. Spiderbait! Oh my god, remember Spiderbait? As an Australian, their inclusion on this soundtrack was also very important to me.
33. Kat and Bianca’s dad is so extra. But my mum was very overprotective as a teen, so I related hard.
34. Ooft the R word! It’s used so casually in these ‘90s movies.
35. Cameron going straight in for a date when Bianca is there to learn is not cool. I mean, I know she then leads him on and uses him, but still.
36. Heath Ledger playing with fire was a significant moment in my sexual awakening.
37. All the rumours about how dangerous he is are hilarious, especially when you know how soft he really is.
38. Lmao @ him drilling a hole in Cameron’s book.
39. The dick-on-the-face joke was the height of humour to 13-year-old me.
40. 15 bucks for two people to go to the movies? What a bargain.
41. “We get popcorn, that’s 53.” That’s quite a leap! I know popcorn is expensive, but how much are you eating, Patrick?!
42. “Hey there girlie, how you doing?” “Sweating like a pig actually, and yourself?” I love them so much.
43. I definitely copied Bianca’s blue skirt and white top combo.
44. This scene where Kat’s upset about Bianca wearing their mum’s pearls breaks my heart.
45. The banter between Kat and Patrick is *Italian chef kiss*.
46. Meanwhile Kat backing into Joey’s car is a huge mood.
47. I love that Patrick finds it utterly delightful, too.
48. “My insurance does not cover PMS.” Honestly, how does Kat put up with her dad?
49. Oh, she doesn’t.
50. Heath with a toothpick in his mouth is EVERYTHING.
51. “What is it with this chick, she have beer flavoured nipples?” Lmao.
52. The paper drop of party invites is so gloriously ‘90s.
53. Joey obsessing over his identical headshots is very funny.
54. Another iconic look from Bianca with the blue top and white jeans.
55. Larisa Oleynik’s delivery of “I don’t THINK so” is great, and something I copied a lot.
56. This movie taught me that black undies mean you want to have sex. To this day I cannot look at black undies without thinking about 10 Things.
57. “A girl’s room is very personal”, Bianca says, in the middle of raiding her sister’s.
58. How did literally everyone have that sun and stars bedspread in the ‘90s?
59. “Are you telling me I’m not a pretty guy?” Heath Ledger is truly sublime in this.
60. “She likes Thai food, feminist prose, and angry girl music of the indie rock persuasion.” Oh my god, I am Kat Stratford.
61. I’ve always been curious about what the story is with Patrick saying he can’t be seen at this club, when he’s a regular/clearly knows them well. I feel like there’s more backstory there they never fully explain???
62. Heath in those shiny pants actually made me swoon.
63. Letters to Cleo! Yaass!
64. Patrick watching Kat dance is a very good Look™.
65. The fact he quit smoking to date Kat shows it’s more than money for him already.
66. The bit where the music drops just as he tells her she’s sexy is amazing.
67. Bianca’s red dress! Gah I love all of her clothes so much.
68. “A small study group of friends.” “Otherwise known as an orgy.” This Dad is A Lot.
69. “Who knocked up your sister?” Looool.
70. Is it even a teen movie without someone being freaked out about vases being broken at a house party?
71. That girl drunkenly launching herself at Heath Ledger and asking her to kiss him is the most relatable character in this whole movie.
72. Everyone getting excited about a fight is so high school it hurts.
73. Poor Cameron.
74. I love that Bianca is so bored with Joey already.
75. Kat dancing on the table is iconic.
76. And Patrick catching her! There I go, swooning again.
77. He just wants to take care of her! It’s so lovely.
78. This movie taught me everything I know about concussions.
79. “Don’t make anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” Patrick is very good at pep talks.
80. “Who needs affection when I have blind hatred?” Enemies to lovers is one of my favourite tropes, and this is truly a wonderful iteration of it.
81. The swing scene is so damn cute.
82. Kat: “Your eyes have a little green in them.” Also Kat: *vomits on his shoes*. Perfection.
83. The car scene is sweet. Right up until Kat goes in for the kiss and Patrick pulls away. Like, I like that he does, but I feel for her.
84. The car scene between Cameron and Bianca is also excellent, but I am nowhere near as interested in them as I am in Kat and Patrick.
85. The subplot with Kat’s friend being a massive Shakespeare stan is pretty silly, but I enjoy it.
86. The songs in this movie are taking me back to being a teen, not just because they’re in this movie, but because I listened to the soundtrack so much it became the soundtrack for my teen experiences.
87. Bianca accidentally hitting the archery teacher with her arrow and barely even flinching is low-key hilarious.
88. Patrick, don’t take the money from Joey!
89. Oh, he didn’t.
90. Oh, no, he did.
91. Him coming up behind Kat in the guitar shop and not wanting to interrupt her is such a good moment. And then following her along the shelves in the bookshop! My heart!
92. It’s so odd hearing Heath say “panties in a twist” in his Australian accent though, because as an Aussie he’d actually say “knickers in a knot”.
93. THE SINGING SCENE.
95. I can’t take it.
96. It’s the most romantic scene in teen movie history.
98. This scene honestly ruined men forever for me. No one could ever live up to this.
99. I also remember reading about how Heath Ledger had to make his voice rougher when he sang because it was too good. It made 13-year-old me love him even more.
100. I downloaded this version of the song from Napster and added it to every Mixed CD I burned. Lol.
101. The way he smiles at the end!!!
102. I’m a puddle on the floor.
103. It’s really cute that Kat busts Patrick out of detention, but her interaction with the teacher is really off.
104. I guess her and Patrick have inappropriate flashing in common now.
105. The little paddle boat! This was peak romance to 13-year-old me.
106. Also, rewatching this, I’m realising just how much The Kissing Booth totally stole from this movie.
107. The paintball date is ICONIC. Why is real paintball not actually like this? I’m still waiting for the opportunity to do it.
108. They kiiiiiiiissed, yaaaaaass!
109. THE NECK KISSING!
110. MORE KISSING!!!
112. Lol Bianca is way better at French than Cameron.
113. Why hasn’t he asked her out yet?
114. “What’s normal? Those damn Dawson’s River kids sleeping in each other’s beds and what not? I’m down, I’ve got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don’t care how dope his ride is.” There are so many quotable lines in this movie, but I think this might just be my favourite.
115. I really enjoy the focus on the sister relationship.
116. I love that Kat already had a prom dress.
117. But I need to talk about Bianca’s dress for a second. I know I’ve used “iconic” so much already but I have to use it again because it is the DEFINITION of iconic. Like, every single one of her outfits in this movie is amazing, but this is the ultimate.
118. Teen movies in the ‘90s loved getting actual bands to appear, and this one got not one, but TWO. Hello, Save Ferris!
119. And the fact they then perform with Letters to Cleo makes it the most ambitious crossover event in history.
120. Kat and Patrick are being THE CUTEST right now.
121. I love that he was looking after his grandpa when all those people thought he was in jail or whatever.
122. Ooft the bit where Joey reveals the truth is like a punch in the gut.
123. Speaking of punches, I am cackling at Bianca hitting Joey.
124. The way Kat runs away is entirely justified, but also makes me want to cry.
125. Aw, Bianca and Cameron are finally going sailing
126. The poem! I still know this off by heart.
127. Kat is gonna make me cry AGAIN.
128. The way Patrick looks at her! Yep, I’m crying.
129. He had already bought that guitar for her, right?
130. I wish there was a little more discussion before she comes around to him again – oh who am I kidding, I’m grinning at them kissing!
131. To the tune of Letters to Cleo playing “I Want You To Want Me” on the roof! I’m so happy.
132. Omg, I forgot about the bloopers.
133. It’s hilarious to watch the dance scenes without any music playing. It must be really bizarre to film them.
134. The prophylactic line! Hahaha I definitely quoted that a lot even though I had no idea what it meant.
135. Oh god, this movie is incredible.
136. I said a couple of weeks ago I thought Clueless was the best teen movie of all time…but I think THIS might be???
The opening song is by Barenaked Ladies. An earlier version of this post embarrassingly identified them as Smash Mouth.