34 Products For Pet Owners Who Just Want A Cleaner Home
Dirt, mud, litter, and endless amounts of fur — it's all a part of that pet-owning life, but you don't have to live with it in your home.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A self-contained paw washer to clean the dirt, mud, and debris from your pup's paws after their walk or a long day outside. Doggos actually like the feel of the gentle bristles on their paws, so it's a win-win for both your pup and your floors.
2. And an outdoor shower grooming tool for cleaning up after those particularly messy outdoor romps. Give your dog a makeshift shower with this grooming tool that attaches to any water bottle. Just squeeze, and you'll be able to shower off your pup no matter where you are — no more tracking mud indoors!
3. Or a dog sprayer attachment with a more concentrated stream that can be installed in your shower or hooked up to a garden hose. Your precious pup will be all clean in a jiffy (and your home will *stay* clean).
4. For outdoor cats who like to spend their days rolling around in dirt, a waterless dry shampoo to clean their fur while also saving both of you the trauma of giving them a bath.
5. A robotic vacuum capable of sucking up all the pet hair, dirt, dust, and leftover food crumbs building up on your floor. All you have to do is turn it on, and it'll go about its way cleaning your floors, even getting into hard-to-reach areas like under couches or tables.
6. A ChomChom pet hair roller for pets who love to sprawl out on your furniture and leave a thick layer of hair behind. The ChomChom roller doesn't mess with sticky tapes or paper; instead, you get a reusable brush that grabs up every bit of hair and lint as you clean — just empty it out after, and you're good to go again!
7. Or a Bissell corded 4-amp handheld vacuum that simply erases stubborn pet hair that otherwise won't come out. Its rubber nozzle is capable of pulling out hair and dirt, and its lightweight, compact design makes it easy to handle.
8. A set of ceramic food bowls and a matching stand if your pet, without FAIL, spills food everywhere at dinner time or straight-up knocks over their bowl. This stand has an anti-slip grip and holds the bowls tight so there's no moving around, and the elevation actually makes it easier on your pet to eat, as they don't have to kneel down as far.
9. A 35-ounce spill- and slip-resistant water bowl to put an end to the pools of water all over your floor. It has a floating disk that controls water flow and forces your pet to slow down and take an actual gulp so they don't walk away with water still sloshing out of their mouth. Though mostly designed for dogs, messy cats can use it too!
10. A UV black light flashlight that, uh, may give you some very gross info about where your pet has been having accidents. There's nothing worse than detecting the vague smell of pee and not knowing where it's coming from.
11. And an odor-eliminating spray you should have on hand for when you locate that latest carpet accident. Not only does it lift away stains; it also releases enzymes that break down the deep and persistent odors left behind.
12. A Litter Robot for anyone who always lets their cat's litter box go a little longer than it should without cleaning — and smells the consequences. This automatic litter box ensures they always have a clean box of litter, and all you have to do is throw away the bag of collected waste and put in a new liner. It's a win-win for both you and your kitty!
13. Or a much cheaper hooded kitty litter box that cuts down on litter tracked outside *and* odor thanks to a disposable carbon filter up top. The lid can be lifted up for easy cleaning, and the jumbo size means even the biggest cats will have enough room to move around.
Before I upgraded to the Litter Robot, I used two of these hooded litter boxes for years, and they worked great, particularly for my 15-pound cat. They do a pretty good job of keeping odors from taking over that room, and the cover + flap is way more effective than regular litter boxes at preventing litter from scattering everywhere (though I still suggest pairing this with a litter mat). If you're looking for a jumbo box at a decent price, it doesn't get much better than this one!
Promising review: "This litter box is by far the best one I've ever had. It has impeccable quality, it makes upkeep easy, and is great for my cats. I have two medium-sized male cats, who love to make messes when it comes to cat litter. I got this box because it had a cover and was large enough for them to be comfortable with using it. Neither of the cats had ever used a covered box before, so for the first three days I took the clear plastic door off so they could get used to the box itself. Once I put the door back on, the were puzzled for a while, but when they needed to do their business they used the door just fine. I highly recommend this box to anyone with cats! My cats still get some litter out of the box, but only the minimal amount that they need to shake off their paws after being in cat litter. Not an issue at all, simply an inevitable occurrence." —Payton
Get it from Amazon for $40.98 (available in two colors).
14. And a top-entry litter box with a grooved lid designed to help remove leftover litter particles from your cat's paws as they climb out. If you have a dog in the house who likes to go digging in your cat's litter box, this design can also keep them out of your cat's poop spot.
15. A double-layered litter mat sporting a honeycomb design that catches and traps litter so it doesn't scatter across your floor. You can then press in on the sides to open up the mat and dump the trapped litter back into your litter box, or slide it into the trash can, whichever you prefer!
16. A pair of water-resistant dog leggings (!!!) to keep not only your dog's paws but also their legs free of dirt and mud so they don't track it right back into your house. They connect over your dog's back for a snug, adjustable fit, and the bottoms have waterproof grips so your pup doesn't slide around on rainy days!
Walkee Paws is a small biz started by pet owner Lisa Baronoff. You may have seen them on Shark Tank! Get 15% off site-wide with the code WALKEEBUZZ.
Promising review: "I love the Walkee Paws. Unlike the other type of dog boots, these stay on her tiny feet. My little girl never liked walking in the rain or snow. The first time I put them on her inside the house, she was hesitant to walk but with a little coaxing she walked off the rug onto the wooden floor. When she realized that she didn't slip, she started acting silly running back and forth in the house. Now she loves walking in the snow and water puddles." —Cynthia C.
Get them from Walkee Paws for $39.99 (available in sizes XS–L and in eight colors).
17. A packet of plant-based compostable dog wipes you should have on hand to wipe away everyday dirt and grime without having to give your pup a full bath. These wipes are gentle and hypoallergenic, making them safe for dogs with sensitive skin.
18. A water-resistant reversible sofa cover if them jumping on the sofa is simply inevitable and you want an easy-to-clean solution. Elastic straps help it stay in place and prevent sliding, so your furry friend can sprawl out with you on the couch without worry of damage.
19. Grooming gloves for dogs or cats who shed huge wads of hair every time you go to pet them — at least now, your petting sessions can double as grooming time, and you can prevent some of that excess hair from ending up on your furniture. Plus, many pets really enjoy how this glove feels.
20. A pack of extra-absorbent Glad activated carbon training pads you can lay out for puppies, senior dogs, or even elderly cats. They can absorb up to three cups of urine and turn it into a gel for easy cleanup, and they erase the odor while preventing damage to the floor below.
21. A rubber-bristled broom that's like a magnet for pet hair, grabbing it out of your rugs and carpets. The built-in squeegee is also effective on hardwood, tile, and other flat surfaces to clean up any messy spills. Plus, the handle extends up to 5 feet long!
Promising review: "I bought this broom based on the tons of great reviews and I am not disappointed. I love this broom! It is lightweight but sturdy. I have used it on tile floors and carpet and it does a great job of getting the pet hair, lint, and dirt. I like this so much better than our traditional push broom. It is very easy to clean after use just using my hand, unlike our old broom. It also has a telescoping handle so that you can adjust it to whatever height you need. There is also a squeegee for doing the house windows and the car windows. I highly recommend it." —Joyce V
Get it from Amazon for $12.44.
BuzzFeed Shopping editor Emma Lord, a self-professed shedder, also swears by this broom! Check out her full FURemover Broom review for more deets.
22. An interactive cat toy if you're tired of stepping on and tripping over dozens of toys that your beloved feline doesn't even look at anymore. Something about this piece of wire and cardboard just does something to cats, and it takes up very little space — a plus if you're tired of the clutter.
23. Or a toys basket for neatly storing them all in one place if you've basically forgotten what your floor looks like without plush toys and chewing bones.
24. A treat-dispensing licky mat to distract pups when they're anxious, like when you need to give them a bath!
25. A handcrafted, zero-waste shampoo bar made with natural mineral clay and cold-pressed oils — just lather and massage it into your dog's wet fur, then rinse well. A light fragrance of lavender and cedar will be left behind!
26. A professional pet grooming brush to cut down on trips to the groomer for longer-haired animals. This stainless steel comb will detangle and remove so much dead hair, you'll have enough fur left over for a new puppy.
27. An air purifier that captures pet dander and odor along with dust, smoke, pollen, and other indoor irritants that you don't see but can be harmful for you and any children. Once you see how nasty the filter gets, you'll wish you picked one up years ago. It works quietly in the background to clean your air — all you have to do is replace the filter every six to eight months!
Promising review: "Let me begin by saying that I did not believe in air purifiers until I tried this product. After I added another Maine Coon cat to my condo, something had to be done to combat the litter box smell that was overtaking my upstairs hallway. I purchased the two-pack and have no regrets. You will notice immediate results in your home's air quality. One unit is enough to handle an open hallway with two litter boxes! I use the other in my living room to control the pet dander that sometimes floats in the air. Bottom line: Buy this product for crisp clean air that you will notice immediately." —Robert Robinson
Get it from Amazon for $79.99 with $10 coupon (available in black or white and in a two-pack).