We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Unless otherwise specified, all sizes in this post are listed in women's.
1. An oversized denim jacket for layering, especially on those in-between days that start chilly and warm up in the afternoon. You can throw it on over a T-shirt or cami for that 8 a.m. class, then shed it by lunchtime to stay comfortable throughout the day. This versatile piece goes with pretty much any outfit, so it'll earn its spot in your college wardrobe.
Promising review: "This jacket is the staple to any outfit. It’s distressed and trendy. It’s actually really warm and heavy for the price. The quality is unreal! Overall, I would recommend this jacket to anyone who wants a trendy, oversized look. I wear it on top of my outfits when I go out or if it’s a little chilly and I’m dressing up." —Jennifer A.
Get it from Amazon for $33.99+ (available in sizes S–XL and in five styles).
2. An oversized houndstooth knitted sweater-vest with major academia vibes — stylish enough for networking events or that end-of-year presentation you have to give in front of the class, but cozy enough for everyday wear. You + this sweater in a coffee shop drinking a latte = an Insta-worthy aesthetic.
Promising review: "I love this vest! It gives me a total vintage look. The sweater itself is already oversized, but I wanted a looser fit, so I went a size bigger, and I am happy with how it fits. Shipping did take longer, but it was very clear at the time of purchase the expected arrival date, so that wasn’t a surprise. I'm really thinking of getting more colors!" —Levi
Get it from Amazon for $25.99+ (available in sizes S–L and in 18 colors).
3. A pair of baggy overalls because all you need is a T-shirt or some other top to layer underneath them, and you'll be ready to roll out the door feeling cute *and* comfy as heck. It's perfect for those all-day study sessions when you don't want to wear anything super constricting so you can relax and focus on the task at hand (that lit paper due at midnight).
Promising review: "I saw this outfit on Summer England on TikTok and thought there was no way I could pull these overalls off as well as she could in her 'Hobbit'-esque aesthetic. THESE LOOK AMAZING ON EVERYONE!!! The overalls are super flowy and comfortable! I'm 5'10" so if there are any tall girls wondering if this will fit, the answer is YES! It does crop a bit above your ankles but I think it looks super cute. The pockets are functional too! The only thing I will say is that the material is not super breathable, so in the summer it gets pretty...warm...down there (but not a single sweat stain that I could see). You may feel sweaty, but the material doesn't show if it's not a lot." —Emma
Get it from Amazon for $18.99+ (available in sizes S–3XL and in 27 colors).
4. A splurge-worthy, luxuriously soft hoodie with a built-in sleep mask so you can get a quick mid-day power nap in that free period between classes — and if you're attending school out of state, it'll be a *game-changer* for those flights home. It's ultra-lightweight, has a zipper at the front for easy pull-on, and there's even a kangaroo pocket for stashing your phone and other small items. They don't call it the "Essential Hoodie" for nothing!
Pond Los Angeles is an Asian woman-owned independent product design studio that produces in small, handmade batches from fabrics sourced in Los Angeles.
Promising review: "I fly a lot and am constantly trying to find a hoodie with a big hood to cover my eyes so I can catch up on some beauty sleep on flight. I saw this product on Instagram and knew it would be a game-changer. I was able to use it recently for the first time on an early morning flight and let me tell you, it is EVERYTHING I was looking for and more. It’s comfy, cozy, oversized and the eye covers make you feel like you’re in a whole other world and not packed like a sardine on a plane. My over-ear headphones fit perfectly under it and I got the best sleep I’ve had on a plane — EVER! Like other reviews have said, it is big so size down if you want something a little more snug. I have been wearing it everyday at home and can’t wait to get the black and blush one!" —Heather G.
5. A pair of wide leg pants that'll look chic like a pair of slacks but feel comfortably roomy thanks to the wide leg design. It's giving sophisticated upperclassman/effortlessly cool teacher's assistant vibes.
Get it from Forever 21 for $23.09 (originally $32.99; available in sizes 0X–3X and two colors).
6. High-waisted solid leggings many reviewers say are a great Lululemon dupe, making them a budget-friendly pick *and* wardrobe staple for college-goers! They'll come in clutch when you have to trek from one side of campus to the other, thanks to their moisture- and sweat-wicking material, and you can wear them straight from class to the gym!
Most reviewers say they are squat-proof, and there's even a hidden pocket for stashing small essentials. The fact that they come in so many color options *and* both capri and full-length styles is just the cherry on top!
Promising review: "I love these leggings! They've held up to every workout I've put them through (running, HIIT, hiking, strength workouts, etc). I've washed and dried them several times with no pilling and no shrinkage. The price is a steal for the quality of these leggings! I'll definitely be buying more!" —Erin l.
Get them from Amazon for $19.98+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and in 33 colors/styles).
7. Or a pair of opaque leggings that are a little less sporty and even cheaper, but more than capable of handling the everyday college grind. They're buttery soft, not see-through, and go with everything from your school hoodie to your favorite leather jacket. Thankfully, they come in a bunch of colors, too!
BuzzFeed Shopping editor Heather Braga says, "I have these leggings and can confirm they are soft, not too thick, and are not at all see through. In fact, the only thing I asked for a few Christmases ago was three pairs of these leggings — and urged my mom to get them for my sisters as well. I'm a big fan!"
Promising reviews: "Wow! I was extremely skeptical of these leggings considering they’re a 'one size fits all' type of deal. I am 5'5 and curvier. I was worried they were going to be too tight or see-through. However, that’s not the case! They are not see-through even after three washes so far. They are extremely soft and comfortable. The only thing I noticed is they are more of a muted black compared to some of my other leggings but it’s barely noticeable. I liked them so much I ordered a second pair. Def would recommend!" —nichole campton
"Very soft and super comfortable! I'm a college student so I wear them a ton and haven’t had any issues with them ripping or anything!" —Bailey Urkoski
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in one size and plus size, in three styles, and in 21 colors).
8. A preppy oversized sweater for a relaxed off-the-shoulder look you can wear all over campus and beyond.
Promising review: "Soooo cozy!!! This sweater was better than I expected. As a plus size woman, it can be hard to find 'oversized' sweaters but this one fit perfectly. I highly recommend. I bought a 5XL but could easily have gone down a few sizes for a more fitted look." —Stephanie Massalone
Get it from Amazon for $23.79+ (available in sizes XL–5XL and 10 colors).
9. A teddy coat that'll keep you toasty warm when temps start to drop (so you can put off breaking out the bulky, puffy winter coat for longer), but without sacrificing a shred of style. When you have to head to class on cold days, you'll be grateful to have this warm, cozy jacket wrapped tightly around yourself like a big, fuzzy teddy bear hug.
Promising review: "This jacket is so comfortable to wear, and also surprisingly warm. I was not expecting that I could brave the snow with this jacket, but I was so warm and comfortable in this jacket. I haven't even had the need to bust out my heavy duty winter coat because this is warm enough. The best part is that this jacket is SO much cheaper than every other teddy jacket out there, and still stylish and comfy. I also love that the pockets are quite deep, I was able to fit quite a bit into the pockets which is super nice. The coffee color was not quite what I was expecting; I was hoping for something a little less dark brown and a little more toffee and I debated on sending it back for a different color, but honestly no one else has this color (the teddy jacket has essentially taken over my college campus) so I don't mind. I love it so much more than I thought I would, no complaints." —Minah
Get it from Amazon for $27.99+ (available in sizes S–3XL and in 35 colors).
10. High-rise relaxed Levi's jeans meant to fall right at your ankle so you can wear them with sneakers or booties. It's a staple, trendy style with all the quality Levi's is known for, making them a no-brainer choice for a versatile college wardrobe.
Promising review: "I loved the dark blue denim I chose! They feel so high quality. They're a bit stiff so you do have to break them in, but I prefer that because my stiffer jeans seem to last longer. They fall at my ankle perfectly. I sized up because the reviews recommended I do so, and I'm glad I did because they fit really well! They're an absolute staple — comfortable and the style is so in right now! Very pleased with my purchase, especially because this style of jeans usually retails for around $90+ elsewhere." —Jade
Get it from Amazon for $39.99+ (available in sizes 24–39 and 14 colors).
11. A fleece hoodie dress for when you feel like wearing a dress, but your fave pair of sweatpants is also sounding tempting...it's (cue Hannah Montana) the best of both worlds 🎶. It'll also be great for lounging around the dorm and wearing to the cafeteria on weekends.
Promising review: "Holy comfy! I bought this for lounging around my home and staying warm and I couldn’t be happier with it! I live in Maine and keep my house cool. This sweatshirt dress thing is nice and thick (think old school sweats), roomy, and just perfectly comfy. Best money I’ve spent all year." —Shelby Briggs
Get it from Amazon for $43.99 (available in sizes S–3XL and in 16 colors).
12. A pair of 100% cotton joggers you'll be reaching for on the reg if your college classes are virtual, or on weekends when you're just lounging around recuperating from the week. They're baggier than leggings but every bit as comfy, and you can pair them with pretty much any cozy top, whether it's a tee, hoodie, tank, or sweatshirt.
BuzzFeed Shopping writer Britt Ross loves these joggers: "I recently joined the 21st century and got my first pair of joggers (!), and they're this exact pair. They're comfy enough to wear as pajamas or around the house when I'm feeling lazy, but cute enough for me to wear out without feeling self-conscious about looking like someone who couldn't be bothered to look presentable. In fact, I even wore them on Thanksgiving last year (a drawstring waist = you can chow down and still be comfortable) and no one was the wiser. PS: They come with super-roomy pockets. 🙌"
Promising review: "The most comfortable pants EVER. I adore these pants! I was worried they'd be too long on me (most pants usually are) but they fit just right. Love the stretchy waistband and how I can wear them while being cozy at home or run errands while looking semi-human. :)" —Miriam S.
Get it from Third Love for $55 (available in sizes XS–3X and in two colors).
13. Or a budget-friendly pair of joggers that are thin and stretchy — closer to a pair of leggings, according to reviewers, but roomy enough for comfort. Get ready to be living in these on the weekends when you need to hole up in your room and study (emerging occasionally to refuel on coffee, of course).
Promising review: "Imagine microfiber, how it's light and has a smooth texture. Then imagine if microfiber and velvet had a baby. This is that baby! It's light and smooth like microfiber, but also has some of the warmth and texture (not *quite* fuzzy, but holds warmth still). VERY comparable to suede. Super super comfy, almost like you're wearing pajamas, these are the ultimate lounging sweats!" —Sabrina
Get them from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in sizes S–3X and 120 styles).
14. A ribbed halter top with a built-in, no-underwire bra, a useful basic for days when you're *really* not feeling like putting on a bra but need a lil' extra support. Its cropped fit and solid color means it'll pair well with all your high-waisted skirts, pants, and shorts, and you won't be distracted during lecture by an uncomfortable bra poking you in the side.
You can see how to style this cute top on TikTok here.
Klassy Network is a woman-owned business that sells stylish blouses, swimwear, eyewear, and their well-known Brami top, aka a top that provides amazing support and doesn't require a bra underneath!
Promising review: "I totally love these Brami Halter tops. Being a cup size C; not having to wear a bra was almost impossible for me. With the Brami I am so happy that I do not have to use a bra, and it still keeps my boobs in place. These are so versatile that I used them everywhere, all the time, even to do yoga. I just love them!" —Klassy Network Customer
Get it from Klassy Network for $39.99 (available in sizes XXS–3XL and 11 colors — select color options available in every size).
15. A chunky knit cardigan you'll want on hand for that one lecture hall or classroom that's, somehow, always way too cold! You can throw it on over a basic tee, tank, or button-down for a stylish yet casual look, but it's slouchy enough you might find yourself throwing it on at home, too. Bonus: It comes in a bunch of colors, so you can stock up to really have ~options~.
Promising review: "This sweater is warm and cozy, yet can be dressed up with dress pants and a dress shirt, which works great for me as a college professor. It's also cozy at home on cool evenings. The olive brown color works with several different colors of slacks." —shelia foster
Get it from Amazon for $38.99 (available in sizes S–XXL and in 34 colors).
16. A plush two-piece knit sweater and shorts set made for those late-night study sessions, whether you're alone in your room or in a dorm common area preparing for a test with a few classmates. It's beautiful and stylish, yet ultra-comfy and roomy so you won't be distracted by scratching material or a tight fit.
Promising review: "I CAN'T TAKE THIS OFF!! I love how thick this set is, the material feels incredibly soft and is super comfortable to wear at home or even paired with white sneakers and a chain necklace for errands. I want one in every color." —Brooke Renfro
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes XS—XXL and 21 colors).
17. A basic racerback crop top you'll definitely want to own in more than one color, because you can style it for practically any occasion, from tailgate parties to semi-formal events to study sessions with friends. Reviewers say the quality is great for the price, so it's worth stocking up.
Promising review: "I was looking for a true ribbed crop top tank to go with my summer skirts and this looked like it would fit the bill, but I was really on the fence about the price to be honest. Normally, when I purchase cheap stuff it's paper thin and isn't worth the (small) amount of money I spent on it, but this top surprised me. It's actually decently thick and higher quality than what the price indicates. Now, having said that, be aware that if you want a more relaxed fit, go up a size. Other reviewers have found that it does shrink a bit in the washer. If you're ordering the white, please be aware that it is somewhat shear, so you'll need a nude colored, racerback bra. Also, this isn't truly fitted like the picture indicates, it's more open at the bottom, which I didn't have a problem with. I prefer a nice combination of comfort and cuteness with my wardrobe. I'll be ordering more in the future, and will keep this top on my lists." —Alliethealligator
Get it from Amazon for $8.49+ (available in sizes XS–L and 20 colors).
18. And a bodysuit tank reviewers say is like a cross between shapewear and a swimming suit in all the best ways — it's stretchy, supportive, and comfy with just the right amount of compression. It's another basic you'll want to stock up on for college because you can slip this on under jeans, a skirt, or shorts and go as casual or dressy as you like with it. Versatility = key!
Promising review: "Very (happily) surprised by this item — the first clothing item I've ever kept from Amazon! I got a lot of compliments. Might have it buy it again in more colors as a staple to my summer wardrobe. First, it's SO comfortable (or as comfortable as a bodysuit can be); I wore it all day long and felt amazing because the material is buttery soft. The front is double-layered so not see-through and helps keep it smooth. I didn't wear a bra with this, and my nips still showed a little bit and I wasn't fully lifted, but it had a more natural-yet-supported look that I was down for. I'm normally closer to an XL, but I bought the white in a L and I highly suggest doing so. This kept my chest supported vs. the XL I bought in another color; that one let my chest sink and the torso was way TOO long. It does gape a little at the armpits as some others have noted in reviews, but sizing down should help with this / I just pulled down on the sides and it was fixed." —SeaBreeze77
Get it from Amazon for $19.99+ (available in sizes S–XXL and 18 colors).
19. A button-down corduroy shirt you can wear on its own as a versatile top or middle layer — it comes in some seriously *gorgeous* plaid color combos that are perfect for fall and winter. Throw it over some jeans or leggings, and you'll be ready for class or studying at the nearest coffee shop.
Style tip: Knot it in the front for a cropped look or leave it undone for major shacket vibes!
Promising review: "This is such a cute shacket! The fabric is thick but still very soft. The fit is loose and boxy, as you would expect a jacket to fit. I wear it layered over a graphic tee with jeans." —Michelle Roetman
Get it from Amazon for $33.99+ (available in sizes S–XXL and in 44 colors).
20. And a plaid blanket scarf that'll become a cold weather fashion staple, letting you channel those holiday vibes (while you try not to stress over finals). The best part is this accessory's versatility: You can don it as a shawl, wrap it around your neck as a scarf, or use it as a blanket or pillow when you fall asleep in the library. Shh, you deserve the rest.
Promising review: "I bought this for my sister for her birthday and she loves it! We're in college and I see her wearing it around a lot with dresses, sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, etc. It's very soft, large, and warm — perfect for looking stylish in the cold fall and winter months!" —Jan Cares
Get it from Amazon for $12.59+ (one size, available in 24 colors).