3. Carvalho told the Huffington Post how the story behind her client’s scar changed her:
She told me that she was at a nightclub, and when she turned down a man who approached her, he stabbed her with an switchblade.
When she saw the finished tattoo, she was extremely moved, and that deeply touched me.
I was suddenly struck by the idea of providing free tattoos to women who were left with scars following domestic violence or mastectomies.
Each tattoo would act as an instrument for empowerment and a self-esteem booster.
7. Carvalho said the women’s reactions when they reach out to her are are powerful and moving.
“The sense of affection, sisterhood and camaraderie is deeper than I ever imagined,” she said. “They contact me from all over the country, as well as from abroad. They come to the studio, share their stories of pain and resilience, and they show me their scars.”
9. She went on to describe how the tattoos impact the women after they get inked.
“They become excited, optimistic,” she said. “It is wonderful to see how their relationship with their bodies changes after they get the tattoos. I follow many of them on Facebook, and I see how, after being ashamed of their scarred bodies, they now post pictures in dresses, and they look happy, changed. It is transformative.”
12. Carvalho said that the bigger purpose of this project is to shed light on the issue of domestic violence. She’s now working with women’s groups and local police to put her in direct contact with women who may want her services.
13. However, Carvalho said, there is still more to be done: “It is a grain of sand; the world is full of things that need to be addressed. We have a long way to go regarding protecting women against violence.”
BuzzFeed has reached out to Carvalho for comment.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.