Crohn’s is a chronic, incurable inflammation of any part of the gastrointestinal tract. It’s a painful and difficult disease to manage, and up to 1.6 million Americans have Crohn’s disease or the related condition ulcerative colitis.
5. Fed up with the false assumptions people were making about him, Walker uploaded to Facebook on Oct. 25 these two side-by-side photos of himself — one with a shirt and one without — showing devices he uses to survive.
The post went viral and has over 30,000 likes and 10,000 shares to date.
7. The post reads, in part:
So the next time someone says to me, “Well you look perfectly fine, why are you using that disabled toilet, or parking in that disabled spot, you’re conning the system, you’re not disabled, you don’t need that walking stick?”
Just stop and think maybe I just want TO BE FINE or to feel normal, you don’t know what I go through on a daily basis and you have no right to judge me just on your perception of me that you can see because you don’t no what goes on inside.
So stop and think before you speak, think about the struggle I’ve gone through just to get out of bed and get dressed and tried to look ‘normal’….
8. President and CEO of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America Michael Osso echoed Walker’s sentiment.
Many patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis may look healthy, but are actually living with debilitating pain, inflammation, and much more that isn’t visible. It is critically important to raise awareness of these diseases by sharing stories like Ste’s and participating in events like Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week so that the public understands the magnitude of these diseases.
For more information on Crohn’s disease and other similar conditions, check out the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America’s fact book here.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.