1. Target’s recent decision to end gendered signage in some of its store’s kids’ departments has gotten a lot of attention lately.
2. Many have applauded the move, while others have disapproved, with some taking their distaste to the retailer’s Facebook page to voice their opinions.
3. Facebook user Mike Melgaard knew there would be some negative feedback from the decision and decided to have a little fun with it.
He explained what happened to AdWeek:
“Immediately, I knew there would be your typical outraged American spouting emotional reactions on their Facebook page,” he says. “After taking a look, I was literally laughing out loud at my computer. A few more minutes in and it struck me how hilarious it would be to portray myself as a parody customer service rep.”
12. The whole thing was all in good fun, Melgaard told AdWeek.
“I definitely side with Target and support their decision wholeheartedly,” he told AdWeek. “That being said, this was, for me, more about the laughs. I absolutely love satirical humor, and I think America could use a little more laughter.”
Target found it a bit less amusing.
“At Target, we are committed to providing outstanding guest service to our guests wherever we engage with them—in our stores, online, or on our social pages,” they said in a statement. “Clearly this individual was not speaking on behalf of Target.”
14. The account was active for only 16 hours before it was shut down, but it looks like the “target” was achieved.
BuzzFeed has reached out to Target and Melgaard for comment.
- At least 11 people are dead and 69 hurt after explosions outside a stadium in Turkey, the country's health ministry says.
- Trump will reportedly pick ExxonMobil's CEO Rex Tillerson as secretary of state. He has a long history of oil deals with Russia.
- Gen. David Petraeus helped block the autopsy of an Afghan man who died mysteriously in US custody, emails show.
- People are in love with a dog who rides around in a decked out dog car spreading Christmas cheer to hospital patients 🐶🎄