We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us which romance clichés annoy them the most. Here are some of their responses!
1. Meeting "The One" only for them, or you, to be taken.
2. Guys being super persistent and it being idealised as romantic.
3. People falling in love whilst barely knowing each other.
4. Female romantic interests never being allowed to know how attractive they are.
5. Brides running away at the last moment to be with their true love.
6. Possessive behaviour being romanticised.
7. Easily-explainable misunderstandings causing a whole lot of drama.
8. A character's crappy past behaviour conveniently being forgotten.
9. Attractiveness gaps between male and female leads, when the reverse rarely happens.
10. Having two characters initially hate each other before they ultimately get together.
11. Portraying married life as being utterly miserable.
12. Showing cheating as fine if it means you can be with your ~soulmate~.
13. Men behaving like children and needing their partners to help them grow up and get their shit together.
14. So many LGBT on-screen relationships ending in tragedy.
15. Single women often being shown as really desperate to be in a relationship.
16. A character harbouring a secret that could jeopardise their relationship, only for their partner to discover it and be heartbroken.
17. Only ever portraying interracial relationships as between someone who's a person of colour and someone who isn't, and rarely two POCs.
18. Characters giving up an amazing opportunity to be with a not-so-great S.O.
19. Shutting someone up mid-rant by kissing them.
Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.