In 1981, Meryl Streep starred in a stage production of Alice at the Palace — Joseph Papp’s New York Shakespeare Festival adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland — that was filmed for posterity (and, likely, to prove that this insanity did once actually happen).
In bringing 7-and-a-half year-old Alice to life, the future 18-time Oscar nominee found her wildest role ever. No, seriously. This thing is batshit crazy from start to finish.
As The King said in Alice in Wonderland, “Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” But trust me, this movie is so insane, you may never be able to see Meryl Streep the same way ever again.
23. Alice at the Palace is available on Netflix.
- Four people were arrested after Trump supporters and protesters clashed during a "Make America Great Again" rally in California.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and ended within 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨