1. At the 2015 Miss Universe pageant, which aired live on Sunday night, host Steve Harvey announced that Miss Colombia, Ariadna Gutierrez, had won.
2. But it wasn’t over yet.
3. Right after Gutierrez took her first walk as Miss Universe, Harvey corrected himself…
4. He’d misread the card, and Miss Philippines, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, was the winner — Gutierrez was the runner-up.
5. There was A LOT of confusion.
6. And there was also booing and chaos in the crowd as Wurtzbach walked to the front of the stage.
7. Eventually, Harvey addressed the crowd.
He said: “Listen folks, let me just take control of this. This is exactly what’s on the card. I will take responsibility for this. It was my mistake. It was on the card. Horrible mistake… but I can show it to you right here. It was my mistake. Still a great night. Please don’t hold it against the ladies. We feel so badly, but it’s still a great night.”
8. And with that, Harvey walked off the stage and last year’s Miss Universe winner, Paulina Vega, also from Colombia, was in the uncomfortable position of taking the crown from Miss Colombia’s head and putting it on Miss Philippines’.
9. You can watch the full disaster here:
10. Harvey later tweeted an apology that he soon deleted:
11. About 10 minutes after deleting the tweet, he tweeted another apology with corrected spellings.
14. There’s only one thing to say, Steve:
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- A 2-year-old boy lost a race at school after he spotted his dad and ran to hug him instead of crossing the finish line 👦💨💞