If you’re an employee at General Motors, you shouldn’t to refer to GM vehicles as rolling sarcophagi or the Hindenburg.
That’s according to new documents released as part of GM’s $35 million settlement over its faulty ignition switches, which instruct engineers how to describe problems in vehicles without using certain inflammatory language.
The confidential PowerPoint presentation containing the words is from 2008, and warns employees not to describe vehicles in ways that invoke emotion or that are speculative, opinionated, or vague. It also instructs them to think how it would look if everything they say or email wound up as a front-page headline.
Greg Martin, a spokesman for GM, told Reuters that company culture is different now than it was back in 2008.
“Today’s GM encourages employees to discuss safety issues, which is reinforced through GM’s recently announced Speak Up for Safety Program,” Martin said.
Here’s the full list:
7. Big time
8. Brakes like an “X” Car
The Hindenburg was a German airship that famously exploded while trying to dock in New Jersey. GM instructed its employees not to liken its vehicles to the Hindenburg.
A sarcophagus is a stone coffin, sometimes covered with ornate designs. GM asked that its employees not refer to their vehicles as a “rolling sarcophagus.”
The Titanic was a large ship that crashed into an iceberg resulting in the deaths of thousands onboard. GM employees were told they should not compare their vehicles to the Titanic.
53. Powder keg
55. Rolling Sarcophagus (tomb or coffin)
57. Safety related
59. Spontaneous combustion
68. Words or phrases with biblical connotation
69. You’re toast
- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said he's voting for Hillary Clinton, joining a growing list of top-ranking Republicans who are breaking rank.
- Election forecasts are everywhere these days, but what do they really mean? Here's what they tell us 🔍
- The New York Giants have released kicker Josh Brown after he admitted to abusing his wife in his journal.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️