go to content

An Alberta Teenager Found Out What It's Like When An E-Cigarette Explodes In Your Face

Not fun.

Posted on

A 16-year-old from Lethbridge, Alberta, suffered horrific burns and lost some teeth after an e-cigarette exploded in his face.

Handout / The Canadian Press

Ty Greer was vaping in the car when the device exploded, according to the Lethbridge Herald.

He had first- and-second degree burns to his face, as well as injuries to his lips, tongue and throat. The force of the explosion also shattered two of his teeth.

“There was a two-foot by two-foot of flame,” Greer’s father Perry told the newspaper.

“Part of his tooth went into his tongue when it broke off,” he said.

Greer was using a Wotofo Phantom, which sells for about $55 in Canada. Selling e-cigarettes to minors is banned in much of Canada, but not in Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Alberta, The Canadian Press reports.

180smoke.ca / Via 180smoke.ca

Mechanical mod e-cigarettes, like the Phantom, are sometimes advertised as being for "advanced users" only and carry a warning that improper use "can result in serious damage to the products and potential injuries to the user."

E-cigarette explosions are rare but can cause tremendous damage.

Last year, a 29-year-old man in Florida was hospitalized after his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, shattering his teeth and breaking his neck as a result. Another man in California suffered burns to his mouth and had part of his index finger amputated after an explosion.

Ishmael Daro is a social news editor for BuzzFeed and is based in Toronto.

Contact Ishmael N. Daro at ishmael.daro@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.