It's been 16 years (yes, 16 WHOLE YEARS!) since The Lizzie McGuire Movie came out. Since then, its become an iconic part of everyone's childhood. From the clothes to the music, everything about this movie screams '00s nostalgia.
Back then I was a pretty huge fan of LM, I never missed an episode after school. And since I recently rewatched Bend It Like Beckham as an adult, I thought why not do the same for The Lizzie McGuire Movie. Here's what happened.
1. Yessss, I'm SO excited to rewatch this.
2. This music is so tense! I feel like some sneaky shit is about to go down which is extremely not Lizzie McGuire.
3. Oh look, it's a camcorder. My dad brought his to every family gathering to make home movies.
4. IT'S MATT!!!
5. Did I have a crush on him? Hmmmmm, no I was definitely more of a Gordo girl.
6. This Atomic Kitten song, the room, the clothes Lizzie is wearing...this is all very nostalgic.
7. I'm cackling at this dance and song sequence. It's so cringey.
8. Wait, who am I kidding...I TOTALLY did this as a kid. Guess I'm laughing at myself then. Great start, Isha.
9. A MATCHING TOP AND SOCKS SET??? Wow...I am speechless.
10. How much gel do you reckon is in Matt's hair?
11. Wait, don't answer that.
12. Aw, Lizzie's parents. I always adored how supportive and sweet they were.
13. IT'S GORDO!!!!!!!!!! Helloooooooooooo Gordo, it's been awhile.
14. Why is Miranda in Mexico City and missing her own graduation? Did Lalaine not want to be involved in the film? Someone needs to spill the tea on this.
15. Kate getting mad at Lizzie for repeating her outfit is such a high school vibe.
16. "Maybe I'm an outfit repeater but you're an outfit rememberer." – Lol, nice comeback.
17. Cartoon Lizzie was always full of sass and I am here for it.
18. OH NOOOOOO! This speech is every one of my teen nightmares come true.
19. Lizzie's mum always had such iconic hairstyles that I could never achieve with my hair. Probably because I wasn't using enough hair clips.
20. MISS UNGERMEYER!!!!
21. Ohhhhhh she's the new principal. I feel like this is a very stressful way to start off your new job.
22. She...she just told all those concerned parents to shut up. And then called Gordo a "sneaky brown-noser with a hidden agenda." Suddenly I have a new favourite character.
23. Did I miss the part where Lizzie DOESN'T have a crush on Ethan anymore?
24. Also helloooooooooo Ethan. Still looking as fine as ever.
25. Huh, I just realised that Lizzie and Gordo were probably the OG couple I shipped together.
26. They are adorable though. Look at this ~banter.~
27. And now she's fallen asleep on his shoulder. Cute, cute, cute.
28. Sidenote: I can't believe it took Lizzie two seasons and an entire movie to realise what a catch Gordo is. Anyway, back to the movie.
29. Is this a normal thing for American schools to do? Like, go overseas on school trips like this? We never had this in Australia.
30. Holy shit, this is one fancy hotel.
31. "You know being a spineless, little jellyfish is almost as unattractive as being a little brown-noser." ROAST HIM, MISS UNGERMEYER!!!
32. Ohhhhhh, I see you Gordo. Stealing Lizzie away to look at the sunset on the rooftop. How romantic.
33. "This is our chance to start over." – Lizzie, you're in high school. Calm down.
34. "I'm in Rome with my best friend." – Are you trying to friend zone yourself, Gordo?
35. Omg it's Paolo. And he's calling her ISABELLA. This is it, it's happening.
36. Imagine being gifted a whole cheese wheel. That is...a concept.
37. Lizzie is using a CD player and just referenced Alanis Morissette. Welcome to the early '00s, kids.
38. I'm confused about why Gordo is so insistent on Lizzie meeting Paolo. We need Miranda to knock some sense into these two.
39. Ah yes. The old "I have a fever and can't get out of bed" trick.
40. Why does this doctor sound fake? I don't think that was intentional.
41. And the flared jeans are BACK.
42. Isn't it kind of weird that Paolo wants to date someone who looks EXACTLY like his singing partner? Guess he has a type.
43. Wait...I forgot there's a whole SUBPLOT about Lizzie impersonating Isabella.
44. I love how flustered Lizzie and Gordo get over Lizzie potentially being recognised on the back of a motorbike. As if Miss Ungermeyer would have noticed haha.
45. "Yes, we've been voted best pop tour of the year again but I wanted to do more sERiOuS mUSiC", said every boy band member ever.
46. How is the boy (aka Gordo) the one making sense in this argument???
47. Gordo is 100% mentally kicking himself after that forehead kiss from Lizzie.
48. "You're such a good FRIEND!" – Yikes, there we go. Major friend zone vibes.
49. How is Gordo NOT aware that he likes Lizzie more than a friend?! Dude, you've been crushing on her forever.
50. I'm still not over this hotel looking like the most expensive accommodation you could possibly book in Rome.
51. WHY NOOOOOT TAKE A CRAZY CHANCE, WHY NOOOOOT DO A CRAZY DANCE. I love this song.
52. The reason that Lizzie gives for her hair being blonde rather than brunette is the sun. How did anyone believe that?
53. Oooh yes, a ~makeover~ sequence.
54. Wait...what are these outfits?
55. *Cuts to Lizzie casually cartwheeling out of the fashion studio.*
56. Lizzie has got a new denim jacket and some braids, and suddenly she's a ~new person~ lol.
57. And once again Lizzie and Paolo have somehow managed to run into her school. Love that.
58. "You look strangely large and familiar." – THIS DIALOGUE HAHAHA.
59. "What floor?" "First." "Okay." *Sergei just stands and smiles at Miss Ungermeyer.* Why is this so funny to me?
60. I'm surprised Kate doesn't try blackmail Lizzie or something for keeping quiet. What happened to them being enemies?
61. Gordo is not having any of Lizzie's shit and I'm kind of...cheering him on. Yessss Gordo!
62. Matt presenting fake dating stats so that their mum freaks out is PEAK younger brother.
63. So is feigning that he "misses" Lizzie. No one misses their sibling at that age.
64. How does Lizzie's dad casually say, "I'll go get the passports." Air travel is expensive?! And takes time?! And also what about work, school, YOUR LIVES???
65. Okay, I'm thinking about this too much.
67. Lizzie is wearing metallic wedges, leggings and some tie-dye dress thing. Sounds about '00s.
68. Paolo is kind of a fuckboi. I have decided this.
69. A fuckboi who drives cars without proper roofs or doors.
70. I do have to admit that the IDEA of Lizzie and Paolo is cute. Like, who didn't dream of meeting someone cute while they were overseas with their parents when they were younger?
71. And we're back to Paolo "Don't you trust me?" Valisari.
72. Lizzie has literally been out the entire day. Surely someone would have noticed by now, right?
73. WAIT IS...IS GORDO SPILLING THE BEANS?
74. Oh noooo, he's taking the blame for everything. And he's being sent home?
75. Omgggg Paolo is teaching Lizzie how to lip sync THE song.
76. "Was it awful?" "Yes." – Lmao, this movie has so many good lines.
77. THIS IS WHAT DREEEAAAAAMS ARE MADE OF.
78. Ooooooft, there is so much romance in the air.
79. YIKES! Lizzie is realising everything about Gordo. Everything is clicking into place.
80. And now the real Isabella is here!!! What a mess.
81. What even is this accent that Isabella is meant to have? I'm cackling.
82. Wait, how does Ethan know what's going on? Did Kate tell him? Did Gordo? I have so many questions.
83. I have a strong feeling that Lizzie is going to wear flared jeans to this Italian awards show because that was definitely a thing during the '00s.
84. Oh no, I was right haha. I'm so glad flared jeans aren't a thing anymore.
85. PAOLO IS SETTING LIZZIE UP???!!! How did I forget about this DECEPTION?
86. But also, I knew I smelled a rat.
87. How did they film Lizzie and Isabella together at the same time? Green screen? Body doubles? Parent Trap-esque magic?
88. Everything is becoming so dramatic and intense. And I'm here for it.
89. WHY IS NO ONE SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THERE BEING TWO ISABELLAS BACKSTAGE?
90. I know Hilary Duff is a natural blonde but brunette really suits her.
91. Miss Ungermeyer just took two security guards down. What a badass.
92. WOW THESE OUTFITS!!! They're kind of ugly but in an iconic way.
93. Actually I feel like that could sum up everything about '00s fashion. Ugly but iconic.
94. I'm so tense even though I know what happens.
95. THEY'RE SINGING. ISABELLA IS SINGING. PAOLO IS...NOT SINGING!!!!
96. The crowd does not give two fucks about two Isabellas being on stage and instead gets mad at Paolo for singing off-key. Lol.
97. "Sing to me, Paolo." – This line needs to be noted and remembered for generations to come.
98. Yes, yes, yes. This bop is everything.
99. And suddenly Lizzie can sing? Why not, I'll go with it.
100. HEY NOW, HEY NOW. THIS IS WHAT DREEAAAAMS ARE MADE OF.
101. If you think about it, Lizzie's parents have absolutely no idea what is going on or why their daughter is performing at this awards show. Hilarious.
102. I love how there's an outfit change to MORE flared pants.
103. Why am I dumbly smiling at my screen while watching this? I'm so happy, this is really cute.
104. Oooh, guess Ethan and Kate are back together now.
105. If Gordo wore clothes that actually fit him, he would be ten times more attractive. Just saying.
106. LIZZIE JUST KISSED GORDO!!! AND HE SAID "THANKS!" Bless his pure, innocent soul.
107. Why did we never get a sequel to this movie? I want to know what happens next.
108. And that's it? Oh boy, that was cringey but in the best way possible.