We asked the movie lovers of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about the films and performances they think were snubbed by the Oscars this year. Here are their nominations for what and who should have been nominated!
1. Lupita Nyong'o definitely deserved some academy acknowledgment for her performances as BOTH Adelaide and Red in Us.
2. While Jojo Rabbit raked in six Oscar nominations (including Best Picture), Sam Rockwell missed out on Best Supporting Actor and Taika Waititi wasn't nominated for Best Director.
3. Despite getting nearly 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, Dolemite Is My Name didn't get a single nomination.
4. Many Marvel fans thought that Avengers: Endgame deserved more than a single nomination for its visual effects.
5. While Cynthia Erivo was nominated for Best Actress for her role in Harriet, the film was definitely overlooked in other categories.
6. Although it got a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, Blue Story got zero recognition from the Oscars or any other major awards show.
7. Tom Hanks, who is genuinely one of the nicest guys on the planet, snagged a nomination for his work in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, but director Marielle Heller got zilch.
8. Despite making the short list for Best International Feature Film, Truth and Justice ultimately went unnominated.
9. Booksmart was an incredibly impressive directorial debut from Olivia Wilde that the academy didn't even glance at.
10. A whole lot of people were shocked that Rocketman wasn't nominated for Best Costume Design OR Best Actor.
11. The Peanut Butter Falcon was the perfect combination of warmth and absurdity, but it got a grand total of zero nominations.
12. Honey Boy was another film involving Shia LaBeouf that went completely unacknowledged by the academy.
14. Director and writer Rian Johnson got a Best Original Screenplay nomination for Knives Out, but many felt the film deserved further appreciation.
15. You Will Die at 20 didn't make the cut for Best International Feature, despite its striking imagery.
16. Frozen 2 wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature, and Disney fans are certainly not going to let it go.
18. The Last Black Man in San Francisco didn't receive a single nomination, despite its outstanding cinematography and direction by first-time director Joe Talbot.
19. Little Women earned an impressive six nominations, and yet Greta Gerwig still wasn't nominated for Best Director.
20. The Farewell definitely deserved a Best Director nomination for Lulu Wang and a Best Actress nomination for Awkwafina.
21. Willem Dafoe didn't get nominated for The Lighthouse, but the film still got an Oscar nomination for its cinematography.
22. Midsommar, in addition to being a very awkward date movie for heterosexual couples, was a horror masterpiece and absolutely deserved some nominations.
23. Hustlers got a whole lot of Oscar buzz, especially for Jennifer Lopez's performance, but it ended up going totally unnominated.
24. While 1917 did rather well (10 nominations, including Best Picture), none of the actors were nominated for their performances.
Here's to all the movies and performances that should have been nominated but weren't.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.