The Believer magazine recently arranged for legendary author Judy Blume (Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret; Blubber; Deenie) and Girls creator Lena Dunham to interview one another for the magazine’s January issue, but the conversation was so lively (and long) that the folks behind The Believer decided to transform it into a mini-book. Judy Blume and Lena Dunham in Conversation is only available as a free bonus for new and returning Believer subscribers (you can order it here), but we got an exclusive early peek. Here are seven (out of many) of the fun things we learned about these two incredible writers:
1. Judy Blume has a fear of lightning.
“For today it’s severe thunderstorms possible until five o’ clock with a chance of a tornado. And I’m thinking, OK, I’m going to be sitting with Lena, so what we’ll do is, we’ll just go into the closet together—”
2. Lena Dunham wrote Quentin Tarantino-esque stories as a child.
“It was all families who gave up their daughter for adoption, then she became a pauper, then she came back to kill them all. It was all so heavy, so deeply heavy, and I called them all novels no matter how short they were.”
5. Judy Blume made up books to write book reports about as a kid.
“It was about a horse named Dobbin, yes. I made up the characters and the theme and I stood up in front of the class and I gave my report.”
6. Lena Dunham had some funny ideas about sex as a kid.
“Like, I thought babies were made because a guy and a girl put their arms together and the sperm and egg met through the pores of their skin, and I remember telling that to my mom and she was like, “It doesn’t not make sense.”
7. Judy Blume isn’t sure why everyone gives Miley Cyrus such a hard time.
“Because she twerked, right? What is twerking? What we used to call humping?”
- Some of Donald Trump's diehard supporters say they have mixed feelings about watching — much less paying for — Trump TV.
- A powerful magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck Italy Wednesday night, hours after a smaller magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region.
- Facebook keeps promoting fake news. Experts say its trending algorithm can't stop it—and it could get worse ❌📰
- Donald Trump bashed Hillary Clinton for going to an Adele concert after critics slammed him for promoting his new hotel.