The Believer magazine recently arranged for legendary author Judy Blume (Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret; Blubber; Deenie) and Girls creator Lena Dunham to interview one another for the magazine’s January issue, but the conversation was so lively (and long) that the folks behind The Believer decided to transform it into a mini-book. Judy Blume and Lena Dunham in Conversation is only available as a free bonus for new and returning Believer subscribers (you can order it here), but we got an exclusive early peek. Here are seven (out of many) of the fun things we learned about these two incredible writers:
1. Judy Blume has a fear of lightning.
“For today it’s severe thunderstorms possible until five o’ clock with a chance of a tornado. And I’m thinking, OK, I’m going to be sitting with Lena, so what we’ll do is, we’ll just go into the closet together—”
2. Lena Dunham wrote Quentin Tarantino-esque stories as a child.
“It was all families who gave up their daughter for adoption, then she became a pauper, then she came back to kill them all. It was all so heavy, so deeply heavy, and I called them all novels no matter how short they were.”
5. Judy Blume made up books to write book reports about as a kid.
“It was about a horse named Dobbin, yes. I made up the characters and the theme and I stood up in front of the class and I gave my report.”
6. Lena Dunham had some funny ideas about sex as a kid.
“Like, I thought babies were made because a guy and a girl put their arms together and the sperm and egg met through the pores of their skin, and I remember telling that to my mom and she was like, “It doesn’t not make sense.”
7. Judy Blume isn’t sure why everyone gives Miley Cyrus such a hard time.
“Because she twerked, right? What is twerking? What we used to call humping?”
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.